Your Funny Fish Stories

Slurve

Reaction score
HI All,
I am going back into the aquarium game again and this time to introduce it to my 12 year old daughter. We have a 15 gallon tank as a starter for her to learn the art of raising fish in an aquarium. We have 2 female bettas, 3 guppies , 3 neons, 3 Amano shrimp and 4 nerite snails. They all get along swimmingly except for the odd chases by one of the bettas (gray one) on the tetras. I have noticed lately that whenever this situation arises, the red betta (Betty) would quickly intervene and cuts off the chase by getting in the other betta's way-either by pushing/nudging it and or crossing its path. Betty would follow the gray one around until it calms down. She never chases the smaller fish. She has a very kind but strong spirit/personality. Betty is the boss of the tank. For myself and my daughter, that was a wonderful experience to witness.
I am sure all of you have your own unique stories about the 'funny natural' behaviour of your fish that you might want to share. Thanks.

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Slurve said:
HI All,
I am going back into the aquarium game again and this time to introduce it to my 12 year old daughter. We have a 15 gallon tank as a starter for her to learn the art of raising fish in an aquarium. We have 2 female bettas, 3 guppies , 3 neons, 3 Amano shrimp and 4 nerite snails. They all get along swimmingly except for the odd chases by one of the bettas (gray one) on the tetras. I have noticed lately that whenever this situation arises, the red betta (Betty) would quickly intervene and cuts off the chase by getting in the other betta's way-either by pushing/nudging it and or crossing its path. Betty would follow the gray one around until it calms down. She never chases the smaller fish. She has a very kind but strong spirit/personality. Betty is the boss of the tank. For myself and my daughter, that was a wonderful experience to witness.
I am sure all of you have your own unique stories about the 'funny natural' behaviour of your fish that you might want to share. Thanks.
My old betta (rest in peace) would do a little hungry dance whenever he wanted food. He would start at the front of the tank and dart to the left then the right over and over until he reached the bottom. Then he would start all over again.

Sunflower

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not a fish but my African dwarf frog is quite the hoot. Yesterday I heard him singing in the middle of the day (he mostly starts in the evening) so I went to look and found him face-down doing a handstand against the glass just talking away. Very odd little man.

He also attacks my finger when I touch the glass and will swim up to eat food out of my turkey baster like a baby drinking from a bottle.

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bettafish1 said:
My old betta (rest in peace) would do a little hungry dance whenever he wanted food. He would start at the front of the tank and dart to the left then the right over and over until he reached the bottom. Then he would start all over again.
Mine would do that too. I called it his piggy dance.

New Threads