Your Funniest Moments While Maintaining Your Tank

Discussion in 'Funny Stuff' started by Cherie G, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Cherie G

Cherie GValued MemberMember

Not sure what got me thinking about this but...

We have 3 cats but one in particular who loves to "help" while I am maintaining my 29 gallon aquarium. He sits on a chair or follows me back and forth when I am emptying/filling buckets, basically watches my every move. So I take off the light and the hood and putting it aside, I swear my back was turned for 5 seconds tops before I am turning back to start taking décor out when I discover I have to take a cat out first, his entire front half, except his head was in the water. Fortunately there were only a couple fish in there at the time. So I get him out and somewhat dried off, make sure fish are ok and figure, great disaster out of the way now should be smooth sailing from then on. Yeah right.... so now I have taken out all of the décor and am vacuuming the substrate, cat then decides old fish poopie aquarium water tastes way better than the RO stuff that is in his waterer. Keeps trying to drink out of the bucket so I have the vacuum in one hand and am trying to use the other plus feet to fend off the cat so he doesn't dump the bucket over. He finally gives up and wanders off... or so I thought & exactly what he wanted me to think:angelic:... I resume vacuuming and think wow he is being so good finally, and I can just relax and enjoy taking care of my tank. After a few moments of bliss I realize my foot is getting soaked, I look down to see that he's snuck back, has pulled the hose out of the bucket, it's pointed at my foot spewing water and he was happily chewing on it (the hose not my foot :D).

2. Cheesearmada

CheesearmadaValued MemberMember

In my tank the fish love to swim up and down the siphon head as exercise. They are so good at it that they even take turns swimming up and down it. Sometimes though when they get naughty they clog it up and you have no idea how hard it is to get an overweight dwarf gourami out of a siphon tube...

Now I tilt the siphon tube up so no more playtime during water changes.

3. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

I had a 29 gallon tank with a 10 inch red devil in it, and a 85 pound boxer. They would go at each other face to face for hours, the red devil would get so angry he would slash water all over the dog! Luckily it was a acrylic tank!

4. trixirita

trixiritaValued MemberMember

That is so funny! I like how 99% of the human population think fish are boring, but personally they have so much personality!

5. BettaPonic

BettaPonicWell Known MemberMember

We need to start a revolution!

6. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Oh dear! Hopefully the floor wasn't carpeted hahah I've had the hose come out of the bucket before. Didn't realize until I felt 3 gallons of water on the floor - whoops!

The only other funny mistake I've made is accidentally dropping a pellet on the lid of my tank. After hearing a few "clunks," I look over to see my betta fish frantically jumping in and out of the water; practically giving himself brain damage & launching into the lid trying to get this darn pellet.

7. OP
    OP
    Cherie G

Cherie GValued MemberMember

Oh boy 3 gallons must have been crazy !

My room is carpeted but a short pile so I was able to use the carpet shampooer to get most of the water up. Wasn't too much water fortunately!

8. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Just the other day I caught my cat up on my fish tank drinking out of the back. He discovered that my loaches like to come up for air now and then and was very intently watching the water. He had just started drinking out of the tank when my 8" goldfish came up and gave him a kiss on the nose!!

9. ieatsmiledipNew MemberMember

Not one of the funniest moments but still funny, happened today actually.
    This bug made me realize I need to test my water more lol.

Attached Files:

10. 2211Nighthawk

Oh! Here's a good one.

Had a full 5g pail of fish water on the floor cause I was going to use it to water the flowers out front. Then my insane kitten, that SAW me fill it with water, decided to go swimming.

...and it's not letting me upload pictures again...

11. mollybabesWell Known MemberMember

My ACF Blotchie decided that the cleaning stick was prey/food. So she went around grabbing it and then sitting and staring at it. She's the daftest cutest thing I have (aquatic wise)

12. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Nothing funny has happened to me...just a lot of swearing...

13. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Two for me - our cat liked the warmth from the tank in winter, and she would sleep on top. One time I heard a crack, looked up and got to see how a cat looks when the top breaks and it drops to the bottom of a fishtank. A perfect side view. The cat was fine, but man, that running wet cat made a mess for me to clean up.
    Once I had stopped laughing.

Recently, a friend dropped in when I was doing water changes in my fishroom, and I left lids off by mistake when I greeted her. Some of my killies are serious jumpers, and as I walked back in with my fellow fishkeeper, I absent mindedly caught one mid air, and put it back in the tank, closing the lid. Then I caught another, without even thinking about it. I turned around and my friend was actually open mouthed, staring at me. I hadn't even quite realized I had caught two fish like that - it was all reflexes.

14. 2211Nighthawk

Oh my word that had even my fish-hating dad laughing. That makes me wonder how many times you've snagged fish out of the air before.

15. sassymomma

sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

Not long after adopting Little Helen, I was training her to be picked up ( she came from a hoarder and needed socializing to human interaction)

I would pick her up for a few seconds and carry her to a place where she could step out of my arms safely

She had developed the habit of stepping onto the 29gallon, which was just to the side of the doorway into the living room......but that day I had forgotten to close the top after feeding and she stepped straight into the water !

She always checks before stepping out onto a tank now

16. rubyswordValued MemberMember

A while ago, I had a 20 gallon betta sorority. It was my prized tank, lush with greenery. And that meant...(I will keep you in suspense wha ha ha!)
    I was always sticking my hands into it to replant and rearrange stuff. (you thought it was going to be worse, didn'tcha?)
    So, bettas really like freckles, as I found out rather abrubtly one day... My mom was in the room next to me, and she came running lol. That was probably the funniest moment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice