• cichild

Votes: 24 6.0%
  • tetras

Votes: 39 9.7%
  • other (please say)

Votes: 60 15.0%

• Total voters
pinky93
Jus wanted to kno what fish you guys started with.

Shawnie
mine was the good ole goldie won at a fair in a small cup when I was about 7! (holy cow..wondered how I remember that long ago!!! )LOL

poor fella

Devon
Fluffy. He was a royal blue betta. At the time, I was one of those people that had been horribly misinformed about the care and space that bettas need (they live in mud puddles, don't need any special equipment, blah blah) so I kept the poor thing in a half gallon of tap water and no water conditioner. No heater or filter either. Amazing he lived as long as he did. He froze to death in my house one winter when I wasn't home and the heat wasn't on.
I look back on that fish with intense feelings of regret and sadness for the way he lived... now my boys get all the room and pampering in the world. Maybe in part to make up for Fluffy's awful life.

Tavel
my first fish was actually an entire aquarium full of stuff. My cousins were moving and couldn't take it, so I took it.

2 tinfoil barbs
2 buenos aires tetras
3 plecos
1 chinese algae eater

the plecos all died within a few months of the move, the chinese algae eater was eaten by my turtle, and the most of the others are still alive.

David C
My first fish were guppies in a 10gal, I didn't know what I was doing and I killed a few... I nicknamed the tank "The Tank of Death"... not very funny

Martinismommy
Shawnie you're not alone.....My 1st fish came from the fair too! What's weird thinking back is my Mom bought a 10 gallon tank with a heater......How did she know to do that so many moons ago??

Now the tramatic part of the story....My little brother turned the darn heater up and the fish jumped out! To this Day I'll never forgive him lol....He was maybe 7 at the time.....

Amanda
A betta of course!

COBettaCouple
We started with a Betta.

KonaBoy
A Betta named Colour

Alessa
if we talk about fish in my life... when I was five my grand parents invested tons of money on an indoor pond made with huge river with rocks and waterfall of about 7 feet (yes, it threw water just like a real waterfall, it and it was indoors) with plants both fake and real, and goldfish on it...

Then they moved, I grew up and like 15 years later I got with my bf a tank with two dwarf gouramis... they died of iridovirus :'(

Angela_96
I had a goldfish when I was in my teens, that was my first fish that was by myself (well when I was 12), my mother had guppies, and another tank w/ bluegill(sunfish) that we caught from the lake

platy ben
Well me and my dad used to share the 65G aquarium, and the first fish we got that was classed as mine was some big silver catfish . That was when I was about 6.

Now:, I'm 14 and I have the 65G all mine and a 38G in my room, all mine .

Jillanne
My first fish was a old fashioned mud water cat fish. My father was a school principal and the fish was part of the science room. When he got rather large and ate all the fish in the tank, I got to take him home. My father took him back to the science room when he got to be about 12 inches in length. I can't remember much about the fish. I think I may have been about 8 yrs old at the time but I do remember feeding him earth worms as a treat & grossing my little sisters out in the process.

angelfish220
if your 14 platy ben, you should join the Student Fish Keeper social group.

Pandora
My first fish was a goldfish when I was about 5... someone was handing them out for Halloween. They did at least ask parental permission first, but we certainly didn't give the lil guy a proper home sadly and probably weren't the only ones.

fins
I shudder to think back on it now...but I had 5 minI goldfish in a bowl

Chief_waterchanger

Heterandria Formosa. I believe that was my first fish. Start when I met up with Dino about 2 and a half years ago. It started with three 10 gallons, and now we are well into the hundreds of tanks and not far from 10,000 total gallons.

bryant
Iron waffle
I started with a goldfish when I was 5 then a fantail goldfish, then a betta named alpha.

nitz
Since I don't really remember the fish my dad had when I was little...the first fish I had when I started were african cichlids. Didn't turn out well so my tank sat empty for a couple years until I started it up again in December.

TSasaki
My dad always has fish, but my own first fish, were 3 swordtails. I didn't have a proper tank yet and I was unaware of their advanced skills in jumping. I come home one day and one of them was dead on my bedroom floor. It startled me.

Shaina
My mom had fish but I had marginal contact with them, and looking back they really weren't ideally kept anyway.

My first fish was a Betta named Cap'n Jack Sparrow, who lived in a 10 gal bowl on my dorm desk freshman year of college. He was a great little guy, but unfortunately for him I didn't know Bettas needed filtration, heaters, etc...he just had marbles and a plastic plant, along with once/week water changes.

Poor guy only lived from the start of the year to spring (tough little bugger), then we held a hall-bathroom funeral.

Hello, my name is Shaina, and I abused a fish through ignorance

molliemom3
mine were 3 mollies they lived for 3.5years all black
they were the reason I fell in love with fish.

cognizant
Like most people my very first fish was a goldfish I won at a carnival when I was little. It died after a few days and I was so upset my parents bought me a 10 gallon tank and a half dozen mollies to ease the pain. That was 20 years ago.....

pinkfloydpuffer
I honestly can't remember, but I'm sure it was a goldfish or a betta. And it probably had a crappy life. But the first fish I bought for myself was my betta Floyd, and I still have him! He's a happy boy now, living in good conditions after spending a year in a 1/2 gallon fish bowl

owain
My first fish were goldfish won at the fun fair, pinky and perky.
pinky lived for about ten years and perky died sortly after

lilFishyfish
My first fish was actually sorta a family fish, it was a firemouth cichlid and his name was Pinky. I think I was about 3 or 4. My very fish fishes of my own where for my 6th Birthday, pretty sure it was green Swordtails and I think mollies. I had originally really wanted puffers and was so excited about getting them but when we went to pick them up on my b-day they were all gone......Looking back I remember I was sorta sulky about it, hehehe. I loved the swords and mollies though. It was the 80's I had one of those old green corner filters that you hook a air tube up to. haha I haven't been able to find those anymore....

Steen16
2 comets for my birthday when I was 8!

I wish I new what I new now,

they were kept in a 2 gallon bowl with no filter just a bunch of oxygen weed.

Steen16
My first fish was actually sorta a family fish, it was a firemouth cichlid and his name was Pinky. I think I was about 3 or 4. My very fish fishes of my own where for my 6th Birthday, pretty sure it was green Swordtails and I think mollies. I had originally really wanted puffers and was so excited about getting them but when we went to pick them up on my b-day they were all gone......Looking back I remember I was sorta sulky about it, hehehe. I loved the swords and mollies though. It was the 80's I had one of those old green corner filters that you hook a air tube up to. haha I haven't been able to find those anymore....

They still sell those in nz!! lol

lilFishyfish
I still love those things!!!!!!!!!!

sticky fish
My first fish was some kind of Chinese algae eater. we also had some goldfish as well, but my dad let me name the algae eater.

Red1313
We had a gold fish tank, (10 gal only but hey we didn't know) the water got so green it was literally pea soup thick you couldn't see the fish. They lasted a really long time though.
MY first fish were two Goldies 1&2 who lived a tragic 3 days in a 2.5 tank last year. (Pre fishlore)
Happy to say I have done much better now.

jgon_
BlueLouis
My first fish was a goldfish. I won him at a carnival and we put him in the infamous goldfish bowl. I was about 8 at the time. None of us knew that goldfish need a bigger tank and the pet store didn't tell us differently. He was named Goldy and lasted about 3 months.

Chris123
My first fish was feeder guppys from are school poor things lived in a 1 gallon bowl all there lives

PepsiGirl71
My first fish were fancy guppies (I was 7 years old). My uncle gave me a 10 gallon tank with everything & I have had fish ever since (I'm 37 years old now)! And I still have A LOT to learn...

goggles2
a single black moor goldfish

Matt
Goldfishies For Me And I still got 'em.

-Matt

Mike19
Goldfish

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MacZ