Your Favorite Pre Filter Sponges Please!

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

ETNsilverstar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's what I'm using as well. It falls off the aquaclear if the water level isn't completely above the sponge though.

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ETNsilverstar said:
That's what I'm using as well. It falls off the aquaclear if the water level isn't completely above the sponge though.
No problems there, my intake is 6 inches or so below the water level!

I was looking at those last night and thought they would be too small. Good to know they're not because they're cheap!

Thanks ETNsilverstar KinsKicks

ETNsilverstar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sean Garland said:
No problems there, my intake is 6 inches or so below the water level!

I was looking at those last night and thought they would be too small. Good to know they're not because they're cheap!

Thanks ETNsilverstar KinsKicks
Mine is too, but it falls off during water changes. lol

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ETNsilverstar , you can use either a rubber band or a plastic cable tie (aka zip tie) to secure the top of the sponge around the neck of the intake tube.

Here is an example of how I attach a sponge to one of my HOB's....

Sean Garland , I like using the 2-pack Top Fin sponges designed for their internal filters or an Aquaclear 70 block foam sponge for easy DIY pre-filters attached to the intake tube.

I also like ATI Hydro Max pre-filters. I have their HM II and III models. Here is a pic of the III, it uses a coarse foam.

I like the ATI's because they are modular and adaptable. For instance, I can take that sponge off and swap it for an ATI "Pro" -V sponge that is the same height but 5 3/4" across.

Check out the ATI products on Jehmco's website.

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good Deal Islandvic. Are you the one who posted about DIY conversion of Cartridge filters?

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, I have made a thread on the subject, but others have also.

Those pics I just posted came from that thread I had made in the past.

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Islandvic said:
Yes, I have made a thread on the subject, but others have also.

Those pics I just posted came from that thread I had made in the past.
I recognized them from reading it this morning! Good Stuff. I'll be doing something similar in my 40 breeder (came with an aqueon Quietflow)

ETNsilverstar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Islandvic said:
ETNsilverstar , you can use either a rubber band or a plastic cable tie (aka zip tie) to secure the top of the sponge around the neck of the intake tube.
I know I can do that, but I don't want to redo it with every water change, since I have to rinse it every time or it clogs up too much. It's easy enough for me to stick it back on after re-adding some water to the tank. It only takes one gallon (after removing water) to get it high enough on mine.

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Will those linked from Chewy fit an AC110? I got one from aquarium co-op way back when for like $12 and I do not like it very much.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Homeslice , I've seen them online but never used the one from Aquarium CoOp, what was it you didnt like about them?

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Islandvic, it seems very course, so does not catch much, and what it does catch seems to stick on the very, very surface of it. So when I try and slowly take it off and pull it out of the tank to wash out. Long before I can even get it out of the tank about 95% of what it had caught has already fallen off and been re-released into the tank lol.

Thanks!

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gotcha. Yep they can be tricky like that.

A trick I have is to use quart or gallon size Ziploc bag, and slip it under the sponge and pull it around to the top, so the entire sponge is in the bag.

Try to pinch the top of the ziploc bag around the intake tube and lift the sponge out with the intake tube attached.

If the tube doesnt come off that way, then with the lip of the back around the top of the sponge, slide the sponge downward off the intake tube, while keeping the baggy around it the best you can.

It will catch 95% of what floats off the sponge!!!

Afterwards, I just rinse the bag, wipe it out and put it back under the tank cabinet, to reuse it for next time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom