Your favorite hob for a 55g?

Chenpoes

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I currently have a marineland penguin 200 on my 55 and with my pleco and mystery snails, it just isn't up to the task and clogs bi-weekly. For those of yall with especially dirty tanks, whats your favorite hob for a 55? Not really looking to switch to a cannister or sump for both financial and space reasons.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I run 2 cascade 300 HOB's on my 55 along with 2 dual sponge filters. The sponge filters really aren't necessary but I keep them well seeded in case I need to set up and cycle another tank.

I don't have mystery snails but do have one full grown and 6 juvenile bristle nose plecos along with lots of other fish in there.

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I run a 54 corner, which if you've ever looked at the shape of it, anything bigger than that 200 (which I'm running on this tank) won't fit. I've got the Bio Wheel 200 and a Tidal 55 going with a couple of the dual chamber sponge filters. If financial concerns are at play on a standard shaped 55, I'd go for the Marineland 375. I just looked at one on Amazon for $50. The other ones you'll have suggested to you, the Aquaclear and Tidal 110's both cost $30 more. The 375 would give you 2 media baskets the size of the 200's, and Marineland finally moved the pump into the tank (noise & self priming), and made the flow rate adjustable, like the AC and Tidal.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you have access to a PetSmart, then I would recommend an Aquaclear 70.

Have the cashier price match the Chewy website where it's on sale for $39.

Then show the cashier the 25% off coupon that can be earned in PetSmart's app. It can be earned by playing the in-app game.

An AC70 for $30 is a great deal.

If the budget is there, get 2 at $30 each. It may take separate transaction to do this, I think the coupon is for 1 item only per purchase.

If you get an Aquaclear, I suggest to buy a second foam sponge block and double stack them. The second foam sponge block will provide a ton of mechanical and biological filtration.

New Threads