Your Favorite Betta Tank Accessories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
So I wanted to get everyone's opinions and feedback on what their Betta Fish seem to like best in their tank. It could be anything from their favorite ornament to favorite plant and anything in between. Trying to get ideas to keep my Bettas happy and busy! Thanks guys!!

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine love the silk plants with the big leaves. Mine won't use a beta hammock to save their lives. litterly. I didn't throw it away. I have it in case someone ever develops swim bladder.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Any suggestions on live plants that are easy maintenance and good for low light?
Water wisteria is good, so are crypts though they are slow growers. I'm really surprised your bettas don't use their hammocks. All 7 of my boys seem to love theirs

ahouseofscales

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For whatever reason my bettas seem to like caves and logs. I have a granite cave in my 5 gallon, a hollow rock in my 2.5, and a log in my 10 gallon. The bettas in those tanks seem to love hanging out in them.

Last edited:

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason my bettas seem to like caves and logs. I have a granite cave in my 5 gallon, a hollow rock in my 2.5, and a log in my 10 gallon the bettas in those tanks seem to love hanging out in them.
I can never find caves/logs at my LFS and have a hard time finding them online too. There's a floating log they have on Amazon but some reviewers said the material starts to come off..

Water wisteria is good, so are crypts though they are slow growers. I'm really surprised your bettas don't use their hammocks. All 7 of my boys seem to love theirs
Yeah my Plakat doesn't ever seem to rest except for lights out haha. My Double Tail likes to rest on his algae magnet I put near the surface and I made a homemade little bed type thing for my veiltale out of a moss ledge. I have a bunch of hammocks but I read some reviews saying that the metal piece in the middle has caused issues so I'm just afraid.. I'm sure nothing would happen though.

Anubias, java ferns, and crypts have grown pretty well for me and my betta seems to like them.
Thank you, I will take a look at my LFS! Appreciate the suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

BettaBliss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My betta loves resting in his floating Brazillian Pennywort. He also loves swimming through the PVC pipe at the bottom of his tank.

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My betta loves resting in his floating Brazillian Pennywort. He also loves swimming through the PVC pipe at the bottom of his tank.
Never heard of Pennyworr before but I'm definitely going to look into it! What kind of PVC pipe? Just from like a hardware store? Do you rinse it off really well before you put it in the tank?

ahouseofscales

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can never find caves/logs at my LFS and have a hard time finding them online too. There's a floating log they have on Amazon but some reviewers said the material starts to come off..
My sister had one of those, and after about 6 months of use the paint started to come off, and the plastic chipped at one point too...

If you want to make a cave all you have to do is find to pieces of flat rock and prop them against each other. That's all my granite cave is and Kylo loves it.

TiqToq

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mine loves to explore the entirety of the tank. She'll focus on one thing, maybe give it a little peck, then swim off to the next adventure. I find she really enjoys the betta hammock, her little croc skull hideaway, and swimming behind the filter and heater. She'll often weave through plant roots and stems too.

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine loves to explore the entirety of the tank. She'll focus on one thing, maybe give it a little peck, then swim off to the next adventure. I find she really enjoys the betta hammock, her little croc skull hideaway, and swimming behind the filter and heater. She'll often weave through plant roots and stems too.
I don't know what obsession with Bettas and their heaters and filters are haha mine do the same!

My sister had one of those, and after about 6 months of use the paint started to come off, and the plastic chipped at one point too...

If you want to make a cave all you have to do is find to pieces of flat rock and prop them against each other. That's all my granite cave is and Kylo loves it.
Yeah that's what I was afraid of.. this may be a stupid question but where do I get flat rock for an aquarium? Do I soak it before I put it in or just rinse it off?

Last edited by a moderator:

BettaBliss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Never heard of Pennyworr before but I'm definitely going to look into it! What kind of PVC pipe? Just from like a hardware store? Do you rinse it off really well before you put it in the tank?
Yea, the PVC is just from the hardware store I rinsed it well to make sure it was safe. It's cheap and is usually very smooth. Just look it over to make sure there are no rogue plastic bits that could tare your betta's fins. You'll also want to make sure that the diameter is wide enough to make sure your betta doesn't get stuck. And pennywort is great! I love it and so does my betta.

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yea, the PVC is just from the hardware store I rinsed it well to make sure it was safe. It's cheap and is usually very smooth. Just look it over to make sure there are no rogue plastic bits that could tare your betta's fins. You'll also want to make sure that the diameter is wide enough to make sure your betta doesn't get stuck. And pennywort is great! I love it and so does my betta.
Great! That's actually a great idea I didn't think of with the PVC. With the Pennywort, what's the maintenance like? Do you plant it in the substrate or is it in a pot? Do you have to have Co2 or anything or no?

BettaBliss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Great! That's actually a great idea I didn't think of with the PVC. With the Pennywort, what's the maintenance like? Do you plant it in the substrate or is it in a pot? Do you have to have Co2 or anything or no?
Thanks! It is free floating, so not in the substrate or in a pot, but it can be planted if you perfer that instead. It doesn't need CO2, but it would benefit from it. I have to use a liquid fertilizer in my tank, but that's it.

Last edited:

Nanologist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah that's what I was afraid of.. this may be a stupid question but where do I get flat rock for an aquarium? Do I soak it before I put it in or just rinse it off?
I actually just grabbed some rocks recently from the shores of Lake Michigan, gave them a little soak in water and bleach, let them sit in treated tap water for a couple days, and then took them out to dry before placing them in the tank. They also usually sell rocks at LFS that have already been cleaned/sterilized and are ready to go in the tank. My LFS charges per pound though and rocks can be quite heavy and when I live next to a shoreline I opted to go find them myself.

ahouseofscales

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got mine from a local quarry. If you have any beaches or rivers around you might be able to find some there. We have a lot of slate beaches where I live so I get rock from there sometimes. All you have to do is find the rock and make sure you scrub it well in water (no soap though).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom