Your BTA Experience - just got one and curious

1. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi all,
    Not sure if this is the right sub-forum (feel free to move), but I couldn't find Anemones.

I'm just curious as to others' experiences with BTA's - I got mine yesterday (30hrs ago).

The question: How long did it take your BTA to get comfortable? Mine has expanded a little, and seems to have found a spot, but is nowhere near as extended as in the LFS.

I'm not panicking, and probably should have researched 'what to expect' a little more.

Here's the background:
    Start-up date: Late November 2011 - I know, probably should wait longer before introducing anemones, it's a calculated risk.

66G Display with Sump
    Water - Instant Ocean Reef Crystals using RO/DI for mixing and top up.
    SG 1.026 (34ppt) on refractometer - a little high maybe :;dk (I'm slowly bringing down to 1.024/1.025)
    Temp 27C
    pH - not sure exactly (about 8-8.2 on API liquid test)
    Alk - 8-9 dKH API liquid (any more and my cat and bubble retreat)
    Mg - 1400 (Red Sea Titration)
    Ca - 440-480 (API liquid)
    PO4 - 0.64 (Red Sea liquid) - Hanna checker on the way.
    NO3 - 1ppm (Red Sea liquid) (intentional to promote PO4 reduction)
    Nutrient Export - Red Sea NO3/PO4-X carbon dosing
    Lighting - LED(Inwatter Stingray) 50/50 white/blue - 10hrs/day white 11.5hrs/day blue (plus moon light)
    Feeding - Reef Roids (just started yesterday)

Circulation - 2 x Tunze 6055 PH's at 50%, return pump 2000l/h (Eheim 2000+), Skimmer Tunze 9011 - Total is about 30x

Like I say, I'm not stressed about it - my cat and bubble coral took 2 days to get comfortable, but they're not anemones.

Just wanted to hear other peoples experiences.

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Update: looking promising

So barely 3.5hrs since posting, my BTA is extending, and, although it's now night in the tank, it appears to be reaching for light. The foot looks planted, and it's about the same size as it was in the LFS. Will have to wait for lights on to see if it extends fully.

What happened? Well I fed it a few small pieces of mussel. Nothing out of the ordinary, I feed my cat mussel or prawn every other day.

It's exciting - I hope it's a sign of happiness, and not about to go wandering. :;banaman

I guess I'll know in the morning/tomorrow evening.

And then - if all goes well, hopefully the clowns start hosting - and I'll have "Reef Bliss"

3. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Nice. I feed mine very small pieces of mussels, fresh thawed uncooked shrimp, thawed clams, silver-sides. I'm actually attempting to farm nems. I started with one and now have ten.

They can be slow to acclimate and will move around til they find a spot they like and usually will stay put unless somethings bothering them.

4. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks Mike.

I think I'm going to be come an expert target feeder! Just about everything requires target feeding :;bbq

It's actually a lot of fun looking after the reef, watching corals feed is mesmorising :;sonar

I acclimated the BTA for about an hour, using the 'bucket' method, but I think you're referring to the acclimatising to the tank/lighting/flow etc ?

I'm working on the food variety, just trying different things. Trying to understand what they all like, so I'll venture into new stuff soon.

Have you tried fresh white-bait, or similar ?

5. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

DOH!

He wasn't happy - I think he may be stressed by the light :(

He is now hiding under a rock ledge, his foot is quite secure, and seems happy where he is.

I read a comment by Stang in this thread on light hours: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/anemones/75167-interesting-development.html

About light hours - is it worth me trying to reduce the hours for now? Or, given corals seem happy enough, just let the BTA acclimatise to the lighting? And he'll move on his own accord?

Ahhh, it's a tough animal to keep. The heart says "Change everything, make it happy", the head says "Leave it, nature will find a way" :;dk

Any input greatly appreciated.

6. Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Anemones are very finicky when it comes to light, I'm not sure of the lighting that it was in and the period of time as well as the light that was given at that time, and question is for how long what type lighting hopefully not for long. In answer to this thread yes it can damage a nem very quickly and does impact them very hard, different type lighting will effect the adjustment of movement from one tank to the other. Was the light in the LFS a hilide or flouresant or what was it? What lights do you have in your tank? If the wattage of your tank is less than the LFS then it will adjust in a few days, if yours is more and both lighting defer on kelvin degrees then you need to adjust the time. Not sure how to answer this at this time so give me more info please. Thanks!

7. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks Stang.

My Lighting - LED(Inwatter Stingray) 50/50 white/blue - 10hrs/day white 11.5hrs/day blue (plus moon light) (120W total, nem is about 40cm (15") below water surface, lights are about 15cm (6")above, so about 55cm (21") from the light) - all tank params are in the OP.

LFS Lighting was quite dull, but MH.

The nem seems happy in his 'hidden' spot for now - not shrivelled up, and in good flow. Thankfully he's chosen a spot that I can just get to and drop some food on him.

I've been doing lots of reading, and I think my best plan for now is to leave the BTA settle for a week, and then see if it relocates into the light.

Everything leans to "A nem will move to where it's most comfortable" - so I think I just need to let nature decide.....

8. Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Yeah but if it starts to currle inward then something is wrong and won't last to much longer, you need to feed it every 4 days with a small piece of silverside about 1 inch in diameter to help it through the process, keep in mind that these creatures do not like any water change in chenmistry what so ever. Keep me posted!!!

9. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

So far so good - he's happily extended, just hidden, no signs of stress (curling/retreating etc)

I'm target feeding a small piece of mussel (half my pinkie fingernail) every other day at the moment - maybe too much?

My parameters are fairly stable. Temp is constant at 27C, salinity is stable at 34ppt, nitrates hover between 0.5 and 1ppm, phosphates hover between 0.3 and 0.6, Mg, Ca, Alk are all stable at 1400, 440-480 and 8-9dKH, so it's just a waiting game.

Oh - I decided to drop light intensity from 80% to 70% so I'll see what (if any) difference that makes.

10. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

So just a little update, the BTA came out of 'hiding' today. :cool:

It's foot is still firmly planted in the dark crevice/ledge under the live-rock, but it has extended out through a little hole, kind of like a u-turn, and heading to the light.

Time will tell, but I think this is a positive.

The Perc's were also showing some interest in it, so hopefully the BTA may host them :party0049:

As they say - nature will find a way ;)

11. Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Sounds good hope it all works out for you.By now you should be able to start giving more light in the next few days add a little more time each day.