Young Malawi Haps Breeding?

Bwood22

So I've mentioned in other posts recently that I have been on the hunt for a Placidochromis Jalo Reef Hap for a few years. And the only place in the world that I can find males for sale is in Germany....and I can't import fish to the states.

Well I finally found someone who does and he had some fry from a breeding group that came from Aquahaus-gaus and he had 2 males so I bought both of them.

They are both between 2.5 to 3 inches but one is really colored up and the other hasn't yet. That's fine with me, I found my fish and I'm so excited.

Yesterday I noticed what looked like an egg tube on the one that wasn't colored up. I didn't really think anything of it. In fact, I didn't realize it was actually an egg tube until today.

Ive got these smaller fish in a 25 gallon tank because I wanted to put about a half inch on them before I put them in my big tank with the big boys.

So this morning I dropped some pellets in the tank and watched them eat. I noticed the "not colored up" Jalo with a mouthful at the bottom of the tank. "That's funny" i thought, i only put in a few pellets and I didn't see him grab any but there he is with his mouth full.

I went on about my day.

I looked again a few hours later...his mouth was still full...."maybe he found some food in the substrate".

This evening I fed again....."he's not eating...his mouth is still full"

My other Jalo is flared up full breeding dress at 3 inches and he's punking everyone else in the tank.

No way.....OMG.....that fish is holding at 3 inches?

Is that even possible?

Have a look....i tried to get some decent pictures but she is really skittish.
You must be registered to see images

A201

When my female Africans were holding. They went on a temporary hunger strike. If the pictured fish eats, probably not holding.

Bwood22

When my female Africans were holding. They went on a temporary hunger strike. If the pictured fish eats, probably not holding.
That's exactly what im saying.
A holding female won't eat until she spits the fry which can take 3+ weeks...this one isn't eating and hasn't all day.
I only thought it had because i noticed that "he" had a mouthful of what I thought was pellets.

That's not the case. "She" is holding eggs.....and "She" is not eating.

I just think it's crazy to see haps breeding so young.
I didn't think that this was possible and want to know if anyone else has seen this happen before.

Not to mention that hey, I paid for 2 males. But Im about to be one of the only places in the states with Jalo fry available lol. And its a great strain.

This is my favorite hap Ill raise these babies and have a species only tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
Madeline Peterson
  • Question
Replies
Views
jake37
Replies