Young Betta - Cloudy Eye (possibly Bulging) And Red Streak On analfin

CasiChic

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I recently purchased a 3.5 month old betta and he arrived in great condition and is very active. He is still very active and alert - follows my finger and wiggles when I approach the tank for food.

I quarantined him in a 5 gallon tank for 2 weeks and he was doing well so I added him to a 10 gallon planted community tank with a cory, 2 ottos, 4 amano shrimp and a nerite snail. Immediately after adding him I noticed he had 2 slight red streaks on his analfin. It looked like blood, but I wasn't sure since he is a marble betta, so I added Stress Guard to the tank for 5 days in a row before we went on vacation. We went on vacation for 4 days and I used an automatic fish feeder while we were gone. I'm not sure if he ate all of the food I allocated for him since he would have to be there to get it right away. I'm feeding him New Life Spectrum Grow semI floating pellets since he is still a juvenile.

The red streaks still haven't cleared up, and now he has one cloudy eye that looks like it is slightly bulging (but it is hard to tell if it is just cloudy and looks bigger because the other eye is so clear). I have attached pictures of what he looked like when I got him from the breeder along with the red streaks and his eye. He is the only fish showing these symptoms. All of the others are acting and look normal.

I tested the water this morning and all parameters are perfect: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. It is a planted tank that has been set up for well over a year at this point. I will be doing a 30-50% water change shortly.

I have a few medications at my immediate disposal: Melafix, Aquarium Salt, PolyGuard, MetroPlex, SulfaPlex and ParaGuard. I also have Focus in the case I need to bind any of his mediations to his food. I can also easily obtain Epsom Salts if needed. I haven't used any of these yet.

My questions:
What is this or what is causing this?
Do I give him medication? If so, what?
Do I need to re-quarantine him in the 5 gallon tank?
IMG_2461 2.jpg
IMG_2461.jpg
IMG_2682.jpg
IMG_2685.jpg
IMG_2964.jpg
IMG_2967.PNG
IMG_2968.PNG
IMG_2969.PNG
IMG_2973.jpg
IMG_2976.JPG

akcarroll12

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CasiChic said:
I recently purchased a 3.5 month old betta and he arrived in great condition and is very active. He is still very active and alert - follows my finger and wiggles when I approach the tank for food.

I quarantined him in a 5 gallon tank for 2 weeks and he was doing well so I added him to a 10 gallon planted community tank with a cory, 2 ottos, 4 amano shrimp and a nerite snail. Immediately after adding him I noticed he had 2 slight red streaks on his analfin. It looked like blood, but I wasn't sure since he is a marble betta, so I added Stress Guard to the tank for 5 days in a row before we went on vacation. We went on vacation for 4 days and I used an automatic fish feeder while we were gone. I'm not sure if he ate all of the food I allocated for him since he would have to be there to get it right away. I'm feeding him New Life Spectrum Grow semI floating pellets since he is still a juvenile.

The red streaks still haven't cleared up, and now he has one cloudy eye that looks like it is slightly bulging (but it is hard to tell if it is just cloudy and looks bigger because the other eye is so clear). I have attached pictures of what he looked like when I got him from the breeder along with the red streaks and his eye. He is the only fish showing these symptoms. All of the others are acting and look normal.

I tested the water this morning and all parameters are perfect: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. It is a planted tank that has been set up for well over a year at this point. I will be doing a 30-50% water change shortly.

I have a few medications at my immediate disposal: Melafix, Aquarium Salt, PolyGuard, MetroPlex, SulfaPlex and ParaGuard. I also have Focus in the case I need to bind any of his mediations to his food. I can also easily obtain Epsom Salts if needed. I haven't used any of these yet.

My questions:
What is this or what is causing this?
Do I give him medication? If so, what?
Do I need to re-quarantine him in the 5 gallon tank?
IMG_2461 2.jpg
IMG_2461.jpg
IMG_2682.jpg
IMG_2685.jpg
IMG_2964.jpg
IMG_2967.PNG
IMG_2968.PNG
IMG_2969.PNG
IMG_2973.jpg
IMG_2976.JPG
I’m concerned by the fact that you have a Cory in a 10 gallon. Cories typically need a 30 gallon and schools of at least 6. Ottos also do best in schools of six with lots of driftwood and algae. I think that you are pretty overstocked. I wouldn’t keep a betta in a ten gallon with anything other then a snail. Have you considered upgrading?

Your parameters aren’t “perfect” if your nitrates are at 0. It is possible your tank isn’t cycled at all. That aside, if your 5 g is cycled, I would qt him. He might have Popeye. The cloudiness of the fish's eye is caused by damage to the cornea (the transparent layer of skin that covers the pupil). Popeye in fish is most frequently caused by continual exposure to chronically poor water conditions which is why I think your tank isn’t properly cycled. AQ salt, correcting water chemistry, and pristine water maintaining will cure him.

As for the red streaks, it very well may be marbling. Marble bettas are lovely fish. One day my betta was a beautiful pearl, and I woke up to see that he was a beautiful pink, blue, and purple.

Hope this helps and good luck!

OP
CasiChic

CasiChic

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
akcarroll12 said:
I’m concerned by the fact that you have a Cory in a 10 gallon. Cories typically need a 30 gallon and schools of at least 6. Ottos also do best in schools of six with lots of driftwood and algae. I think that you are pretty overstocked. I wouldn’t keep a betta in a ten gallon with anything other then a snail. Have you considered upgrading?

Your parameters aren’t “perfect” if your nitrates are at 0. It is possible your tank isn’t cycled at all. That aside, if your 5 g is cycled, I would qt him. He might have Popeye. The cloudiness of the fish's eye is caused by damage to the cornea (the transparent layer of skin that covers the pupil). Popeye in fish is most frequently caused by continual exposure to chronically poor water conditions which is why I think your tank isn’t properly cycled. AQ salt, correcting water chemistry, and pristine water maintaining will cure him.

As for the red streaks, it very well may be marbling. Marble bettas are lovely fish. One day my betta was a beautiful pearl, and I woke up to see that he was a beautiful pink, blue, and purple.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Thanks for your reply akcarroll12.

Yes, I made the mistake of getting the cory and my ottos from Petco where they of course told me it was fine. I have learned since then that the cory needs a larger tank and friends, but I don't want to get any more and I can't do a 30 right now. I've had him for a year. I can't find anyone to take him either.

I have been lucky with my betta fish, he is curious about his tank mates but leaves his mates alone. He is my second betta and neither of them have been aggressive to any of their tank mates.

Over the last year I have slowly added more plants to the tank and about 10 months ago it did show a reading of 10 for Nitrates, but as I have added more plants that number has reduced to the point that I always get a 0 reading now. I assumed it cycled at that point and now the plants utilize the nitrates instead.

If the other tank isn't cycled, I assume I can't add AQSalt to the 10 gallon with the cory and the shrimp?

akcarroll12

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CasiChic said:
Thanks for your reply akcarroll12.

Yes, I made the mistake of getting the cory and my ottos from Petco where they of course told me it was fine. I have learned since then that the cory needs a larger tank and friends, but I don't want to get any more and I can't do a 30 right now. I've had him for a year. I can't find anyone to take him either.

I have been lucky with my betta fish, he is curious about his tank mates but leaves his mates alone. He is my second betta and neither of them have been aggressive to any of their tank mates.

Over the last year I have slowly added more plants to the tank and about 10 months ago it did show a reading of 10 for Nitrates, but as I have added more plants that number has reduced to the point that I always get a 0 reading now. I assumed it cycled at that point and now the plants utilize the nitrates instead.

If the other tank isn't cycled, I assume I can't add AQSalt to the 10 gallon with the cory and the shrimp?
Ok that makes sense and I understand.

Probably not. For now, keep the water super clean. Try doing frequent water changes. You could do AQ salt baths for your betta if you do not see improvement with water changes alone after a couple weeks. Good luck!

OP
CasiChic

CasiChic

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
akcarroll12 said:
Ok that makes sense and I understand.

Probably not. For now, keep the water super clean. Try doing frequent water changes. You could do AQ salt baths for your betta if you do not see improvement with water changes alone after a couple weeks. Good luck!
Okay, thank you for replying again. I appreciate it a lot!!

I checked the 5 gallon and it has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. there aren't any plants in there so it doesn't seem like it has cycled yet. It is also just sitting there empty with some silk plants and a sponge filter. It might be a week before it cycles at this point. It has been running for almost 4 weeks.

OP
CasiChic

CasiChic

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just noticed today that he has a little bit of a white tuft on the outside of the affected eye. I assume it is fungal, but I know bacterial and fungal infections can co-inside. I moved him to the 5 gallon tank - I removed the water and added fresh conditioned water, which I will do daily water changes on now. I added AQ Salt to the tank but I am thinking I need to also medicate him for the fungal infection?

I have MetroPlex, KanaPlex, SulfaPlex, PolyGuard and ParaGuard as available medications. In addition I also have Focus. I'm getting Garlic Guard today. I also have VitaChem. Which of these should I use? I've read MetroPlex and KanaPlex are sometimes used in conjunction with each other - but I am not sure what to do.

Any and all help is VERY welcome and VERY appreciated!!

OP
CasiChic

CasiChic

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just found this website for treating fish with eye related symptoms. Fish Eye Disorders

I'm not sure what Forma-Green or Copper Sulfate are. I'm going to look them up, but if anyone knows if the medications I have will work or if I should get anything else, I would appreciate it. I'm so worried about my little guy. He is young and I really want him to have many more happy and healthy years with both eyes if possible!

akcarroll12

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CasiChic said:
I just found this website for treating fish with eye related symptoms. Fish Eye Disorders

I'm not sure what Forma-Green or Copper Sulfate are. I'm going to look them up, but if anyone knows if the medications I have will work or if I should get anything else, I would appreciate it. I'm so worried about my little guy. He is young and I really want him to have many more happy and healthy years with both eyes if possible!
AQ salt and water changes should work fine. TSS+ will cycle it very quickly. You could look into that

OP
CasiChic

CasiChic

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
akcarroll12 said:
AQ salt and water changes should work fine. TSS+ will cycle it very quickly. You could look into that
Thanks akcarroll12. I actually used TSS+ when I set up my 10 gallon tank - it worked really well, but the only problem is that it is supposed to sit without any water changes for 10 days. I would like to make sure that I change the water everyday to help his eye, so I wasn't planning on using it. The filter I put in it was in the tank for the last 3 weeks, but I dumped all the water out of it and replaced it with fresh water before I put him in. I had the sponge part of the filter floating in the old water from the tank and then added the sponge back into the 5 gallon just to try and keep any of the BB that may have started to cycle, but I'm not sure if that alone will work.

New Threads