You Need This Plant!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Yoda, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Yoda

Yoda Valued Member Member

I want to let all beginners know about this plant I just discovered/bought, Water Lettuce (Edit: may be "frogbit" after someone commented so below). I literally started with 2 of them and now I magically have 15 or 20 (and I bought them 2-3 weeks ago)!

They have helped keep my nitrites at near zero, they look great and add greenery to the top half of the tank, and they make my fish feel safe.

Just wanted to share!

2be471596e6698cf00419c7a4a03db46.jpg
    a7ccf9020028084d4a76589fe6b34816.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

Lol. They're great plants very common in the hobby, great for ponds.

3. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

Mine swirl around too much, impossible to keep the roots from being shredded.
    I think I'll get rid of mine.

4. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Do you have a hang-on-back filter? I had that problem in my smaller tank with that type of filter. In my larger tank, which has an underwater outlet similar to a canister, they are fine.

They're also great supplemental food for your fishies if you're away for a weekend :D

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful plant!

However, you should have zero nitrites in a cycled tank, with or without the water lettuce. Do you mean nitrates?

6. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

I have an Eheim 350 canister filter.
    Regardless of where I mount the spray bar, it always creates a round swirl on the water surface...round and around and around they go...
    Maybe I should trim the roots.

7. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I wish they were legal to own in Texas! They look really cool - like a mini jungle for the fish!

8. T

Themaniac19 Valued Member Member

Just as an obvious side note, these may not work out well with goldfish!

9. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Looks awesome! Where did you get them from? I am always looking for free floating plants as I have loaches who stop at nothing to dig up most of my plants :mad: so nothing planted for me!
    Are they low light?

10. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I was thinking about getting some for my cichlids to graze on, but I still haven't looked up if they will eat it or not.

11. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I can't seem to keep it alive for the life of me (and here i have a huge madegascar lace plant and a number of other hard to keep plants doing just fine, surface plants besides duckweed just die on me (though the water sprite in one tank finally got to a good point).

12. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Wut? Are they illegal to have?

Watter lettuce is great, I want to use that for the tank in which my Mollys give birth.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  13. Tiny_Tanganyikans

A few states especially southern states with warm climates it's not permitted to import non-wild invasive species. That's why Florida has a massive population of boas, pythons, ghost knife fish, geckos etc. California has a check point on the highways at the border. They won't even let yoy bring fruit across

14. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Makes sense, there have been some lakes here in Mexico which have been completely messed up with invasive plants but I don't think there is any regulation here.
    Better take advantage before regulations are set in lol.

15. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

I still can't figure out what kind of person thinks it's a good idea to release a python into the wild...

16. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

That looks like frogbit to me.

17. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately, yes. Which stinks because it's a really cool plant, but I understand why they banned it. At least I can have frogbit here.

18. Tiny_Tanganyikans

You should see the giant knife fish in Florida. . Its actually amazing. They certainly don't belong in anyone's aquarium

19. OP
    OP
    Yoda

Yoda Valued Member Member

You may be right. I think bought water Lettuce and frogbit.

20. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I have both too. My betta really loves to hide under the frogbit.

21. Justkeepswimming01

Justkeepswimming01 Well Known Member Member

Seems cool I'd like to try it for my tank! Does it get stuck to filters? And does anyone know if it's illegal in California

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice