You Need This Plant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I want to let all beginners know about this plant I just discovered/bought, Water Lettuce (Edit: may be "frogbit" after someone commented so below). I literally started with 2 of them and now I magically have 15 or 20 (and I bought them 2-3 weeks ago)!

They have helped keep my nitrites at near zero, they look great and add greenery to the top half of the tank, and they make my fish feel safe.

Just wanted to share!

2be471596e6698cf00419c7a4a03db46.jpg

a7ccf9020028084d4a76589fe6b34816.jpg

Last edited:

Herkimur

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mine swirl around too much, impossible to keep the roots from being shredded.
I think I'll get rid of mine.

vikingkirken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mine swirl around too much, impossible to keep the roots from being shredded.
I think I'll get rid of mine.
Do you have a hang-on-back filter? I had that problem in my smaller tank with that type of filter. In my larger tank, which has an underwater outlet similar to a canister, they are fine.

They're also great supplemental food for your fishies if you're away for a weekend

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Beautiful plant!

However, you should have zero nitrites in a cycled tank, with or without the water lettuce. Do you mean nitrates?

Herkimur

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you have a hang-on-back filter? I had that problem in my smaller tank with that type of filter. In my larger tank, which has an underwater outlet similar to a canister, they are fine.

They're also great supplemental food for your fishies if you're away for a weekend
I have an Eheim 350 canister filter.
Regardless of where I mount the spray bar, it always creates a round swirl on the water surface...round and around and around they go...
Maybe I should trim the roots.

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I wish they were legal to own in Texas! They look really cool - like a mini jungle for the fish!

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks awesome! Where did you get them from? I am always looking for free floating plants as I have loaches who stop at nothing to dig up most of my plants so nothing planted for me!
Are they low light?

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was thinking about getting some for my cichlids to graze on, but I still haven't looked up if they will eat it or not.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't seem to keep it alive for the life of me (and here i have a huge madegascar lace plant and a number of other hard to keep plants doing just fine, surface plants besides duckweed just die on me (though the water sprite in one tank finally got to a good point).

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I wish they were legal to own in Texas! They look really cool - like a mini jungle for the fish!
Wut? Are they illegal to have?

Watter lettuce is great, I want to use that for the tank in which my Mollys give birth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wut? Are they illegal to have?
A few states especially southern states with warm climates it's not permitted to import non-wild invasive species. That's why Florida has a massive population of boas, pythons, ghost knife fish, geckos etc. California has a check point on the highways at the border. They won't even let yoy bring fruit across

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
A few states especially southern states with warm climates it's not permitted to import non-wild invasive species. That's why Florida has a massive population of boas, pythons, ghost knife fish, geckos etc. California has a check point on the highways at the border. They won't even let yoy bring fruit across
Makes sense, there have been some lakes here in Mexico which have been completely messed up with invasive plants but I don't think there is any regulation here.
Better take advantage before regulations are set in lol.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I still can't figure out what kind of person thinks it's a good idea to release a python into the wild...
You should see the giant knife fish in Florida. . Its actually amazing. They certainly don't belong in anyone's aquarium

Justkeepswimming01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Seems cool I'd like to try it for my tank! Does it get stuck to filters? And does anyone know if it's illegal in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 40 64.5%

Top Bottom