You might have a problem with fishkeeping if...

CTYankee79

1. You have an inordinate amount of 5 gallon buckets and old towels lying around the house.

2. You were forced to add a new line to your monthly budget.

3. You realize MTS is not just a funny thing people say on the forums, but an actual condition

4. You check Petcos site daily for a possible $1/gallon sale

5. You start having dreams/nightmares about fish.

6. You start actually putting those free Aquarium Coop stickers on your car

7. You spend more on plants for a fish tank then you do on an entire outside garden.

8. Since there are more than 2 tanks, your young children can no longer say “the big fish tank” and “the little fish tank” but are instead forced to refer to the tanks by their capacities.

9. You are “adjusting things” in your tank very late at night

10. You find yourself creating “anecdotal” posts like this one on the forum when you really do have more important things to do

Anybody have any to add?

jkkgron2

11. When you start paying more attention to your fish tanks than your dogs and/or Other pets

NBettas83

12. You daydream for hours about future tanks and end up changing the whole layout of a room (and ripping the carpet up) to make room for more tanks.

mrjohn

This is scary. The scariest part is that my fiance actually did put one of those coop stickers on her car. I also didn't sleep at all the other day because of well..sleep issues, so I began working on my 20 gallon again until 7AM.

I'm a mess.

JuiceBox52

You check Craigslist every 15 minutes for good deals

You stop going out for coffee and spend that extra money on fish

You're on fish forums all day long and ignore your responsibilities

The_fishy

You start culturing worms and such to feed your fish.

TheMysticWizard

You have large containers of water sitting in your garage for long periods of time for water changes

JuiceBox52

You look at the world around you and see everything that could be used for fish

NBettas83

You can't stop rambling about fishkeeping topics and water chemistry when you are around others.

The_fishy

At least one family member gets anxious when they hear the words “free tank”.

Algonquin

Whenever you see water in any place not in your own house (lake, hotel shower, restaurant glass) you wonder what the Ph is.

JuiceBox52

You carefully examine any lakes or streams near by for plants or snails/shrimp you could collect

ghostdawg

TBH, I notice myself when driving around, I'm always looking for a nice piece of driftwood...

CTYankee79

JuiceBox52 said:
You carefully examine any lakes or streams near by for plants or snails/shrimp you could collect
Or rocks or driftwood

Betta02

Your home office is more like a fish room than an office. What does the IRS say about aquariums I wonder?

FinalFins

When you are willing to downsize your bed to make way for one more aquarium.

JuiceBox52

You rearrange your bedroom so you have more surfaces to put tanks on

86 ssinit

I don’t get it! I don’t have any of these problems and still have 5 tanks and a soon to be unempty one. I need help. .

NBettas83

FinalFins said:
When you are willing to downsize your bed to make way for one more aquarium.
I already barely fit on it lol!
JuiceBox52 said:

CTYankee79

You start worrying about “load-bearing capacities” of your floors and start pulling old water reports from your home inspection when you bought the house years ago

NBettas83

CTYankee79 said:
You start worrying about “load-bearing capacities” of your floors and start pulling old water reports from your home inspection when you bought the house years ago
I did that a few days ago when I was thinking about a shelving unit (you know what it's for) and we got worried about the floors!

barbiespoodle

OMG, I checked yes on at least 99%, well maybe closer to 100% of the post. And to make matters worse, I've even taken over the care of the lobster tank at work. And even worse yet, I'm known as the crazy fish/shrimp person at work, kind of one of those harmless crazies you come across and roll your eyes at.

I have a problem/obsession. Is there some sort of 12 step program for people like us? No, strike that, if I have to be crazy then this a good sort of crazy to be.

MomeWrath

You base your answer on a new job around whether they will let you have your fishtank on your desk.

You include fish food in your grocery budget.

You look at the aquarium before you look at your spouse when you get home from work (even if you love them just as much).

You see vases at the craft store and wonder how much water they hold and how you would light, filter, and plant it.

You start looking into keeping shrimp so you can have tiny tanks instead of lamps on the end tables in your living room.

Berryblue

Your friends look at you strangely when you tell them that you've declared war against algae.

StarGirl

You have dreams of fish tanks leaking water all over your house.

jkkgron2

StarGirl said:
You have dreams of fish tanks leaking water all over your house.
So many dreams..

Frank the Fish guy

You have used the term limnology

CTYankee79

jkkgron2 said:
So many dreams..
I had a dream last night that my pruning scissors were not sharp enough and were just breaking my stem plants....this is getting out of hand

trahana

When your family goes on vacation you ask for them to bring home rocks for your fish tanks. No cheap trinkets please.

jkkgron2

CTYankee79 said:
I had a dream last night that my pruning scissors were not sharp enough and were just breaking my stem plants....this is getting out of hand
I got up in the middle of the night because I thought I heard a tank leaking, turns out it was just my dogs water bowl. This really is getting out of hand..

Utar

You spend to much time on fishlore.

FinalFins

Last night I had a dream I had a spawn of f1 wild discus. Lots of fish dreams.

Falena

jkkgron2 said:
I got up in the middle of the night because I thought I heard a tank leaking, turns out it was just my dogs water bowl. This really is getting out of hand..
My dog also scares the life out of me with her night time thirst. This happens to me almost on a nightly basis! I need to stop reading threads about tanks bursting, screw clowns and monsters, this is true nightmare fuel!

JuiceBox52

You base where you're going to university based off of how soft the water is

CHJ

CTYankee79 said:
1. You have an inordinate amount of 5 gallon buckets and old towels lying around the house.
/me looks at all the 6 gallon buckets. Whew, saved by a extra gallon. I have 0 5 gallon buckets so I'm OK.

I wonder which plants get the filter rinsings today?

CTYankee79

CHJ said:
/me looks at all the 6 gallon buckets. Whew, saved by a extra gallon. I have 0 5 gallon buckets so I'm OK.

I wonder which plants get the filter rinsings today?
You found the loophole! I might need to edit the original post to include “assorted buckets”

FishBoy101

When ever I see a piece of wood or something, I imagine it in a fish tank.

Basil

TheMysticWizard said:
You have large containers of water sitting in your garage for long periods of time for water changes
Or you’ve taken over the downstairs bathroom as a water prep room.

Or you realize that your husband has conceded and never blinks an eye as you are setting up a tank in the bedroom. In fact, he asked me if I needed help carrying the rather heavy little table that I’m using as a stand up the stairs.

Vivo

When you can't sleep at night because you are thinking about whether your fish are happy or are they stressed, bullied, getting enough to eat (esp. at the bottom of a tall tank like loaches and neons).

NBettas83 said:
You can't stop rambling about fishkeeping topics and water chemistry when you are around others.
When your husband asks, "can we not talk about fish for a while?"

JuiceBox52 said:
You check Craigslist every 15 minutes for good deals

You stop going out for coffee and spend that extra money on fish

You're on fish forums all day long and ignore your responsibilities
Like I'm doing now! So much to do, but reading and responding to this group, lol.

86 ssinit

Ok how about when your happy to set up a qt tank because you have a fish not eating. And your looking for dither fish to add with it .

Fishcat

Your husband gave you a very nice bamboo breakfast in bed tray and you are actually using it for attaching moss to driftwood in bed.
I also saw an absolutely gorgeous piece of weathered wood in the forest and am trying to figure out which tools I need to take part of it home for a tank.

JuiceBox52

You decide to fill 100 pages of a sketch book with detailed drawings of fish...

bobduhgeek

Your spouse suggests you attend an AA meeting, Aquarists Anonymous and you are stuck on the first step "my life is not unmanageable!!!"

babykitten

CTYankee79 said:

2. You were forced to add a new line to your monthly budget.

3. You realize MTS is not just a funny thing people say on the forums, but an actual condition

4. You check Petcos site daily for a possible $1/gallon sale

5. You start having dreams/nightmares about fish.

6. You start actually putting those free Aquarium Coop stickers on your car

7. You spend more on plants for a fish tank then you do on an entire outside garden.

8. Since there are more than 2 tanks, your young children can no longer say “the big fish tank” and “the little fish tank” but are instead forced to refer to the tanks by their capacities.

9. You are “adjusting things” in your tank very late at night

10. You find yourself creating “anecdotal” posts like this one on the forum when you really do have more important things to do

Anybody have any to add?
You have an entire fish graveyard (my zebra danios were jerks and killed alot of my fish -_-)

babykitten

JuiceBox52 said:
Thats what i have done. More than i can count. Now im out of outlets haha

StardustFishLover

2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9 are all true for me (and i have been a fishkeeper for one week)

And here is a couple to add

-Spent an entire paycheck on fish equipment at least once

-Are considering making or already have a YouTube channel dedicated to Fishkeeping or your Personal fish.

JuiceBox52

I had a really good one but I forgot hilarious

JuiceBox52

Well its not the one I was thinking of, but...

You spend so much time online talking to people about fish that you met your boyfriend on a fish forum. Lol

Hugooo

Your floor is constantly covered with fish food that you spilled.

JuiceBox52

You prioritize water changes over showers lol

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom