You are all very bad influences!

Jendayi

Reaction score
A new boy from walmart asked to come home with me today, and how could I refuse?? He hasn't told me his name yet, he's a little shy. He is hard to photograph, the pictures don't do him justice... His body is a brilliant white and his fins are red, white, and opaque. The blue coloring shows up with the flash, but I don't see it otherwise.

I have him in Cujo's original one gallon tank until Cujo moves into his hex5. Then this little boy can have the 2.5 gallon for his home and the 1 gallon will become quarantine. I have the tiniest whisper filter in there, but it really disturbs the water too much and he was stressing out over it, so I unplugged it for now. This little filter has an air line that connects from the intake to an external motor. Is there some way I can slow the air down?

He is just a little sweetie and is so active and inquisitive. He was already nipping at the silk flowers and squeezing behind the filter to see what he could see. The only concern I have about him so far is he does not really seem to relax his pelvic fins, he keeps them pressed up against his body. I haven't fed him yet, I'll wait until the morning to see how he does.

And just because it is funny, here is a picture of my desk at the moment:

Attachments

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A gang valve can let you control the air flow on that 1 gallon tank. He's a beauty and hopefully will relax and feel comfortable soon. congrats on rescuing him.

Shastam

Reaction score
Congrats! I really want another one too, and if I had a spare tank, I'd probably give in and bring one home too!

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Wow he is a beauty - everyday I am surprised by the colours that show up in thses fish. All we have is red, blue, blue & turquoise.....oh well. Hope all goes well, congratulations to both of you!!

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Breathtaking!! that's all I can say!... what a beautiFUL betta.. I'm in love! hehehe... ;D

flbettacouple:
I know what your saying.. all I find at the LFS are the blues.. reds.. I would love to have a true green and red..but WOW these white bettas are gorgeous!

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
Hey, you found a marbled Betta! He's lovely! He looks like he could be Nile's brother.

OP
Jendayi

Jendayi

Reaction score
Well Cujo is just beside himself over the new guy. Their tanks are about 5 inches apart on my desk, so I know they can see each other. I think he must think the new guy is a girl. He has been frantically building a bubble nest since last night, and he's all puffed up and swimming around that side of the tank showing off like "hey look at me!" lol The new guy, on the other hand, is not interested in Cujo at all. He's just cruising around and doing his own thing. He seems more at home already and is relaxing his little pelvic fins some when he's still. I just fed him a bit ago, and he ate two pellets and spit two out and let them fall. He's so much smaller than Cujo, I might need to get some smaller food.

I feel like I am pretty lucky to have found him. There was a new shipment of bettas in just yesterday - they weren't there on Monday because I was grocery shopping and just 'happened' to end up on the fish aisle. I had every intention of bringing home a little female, but after looking through about 20 cups this guy said "pick me!" So he was hidden there amongst the blues and the reds. He could be Nile's little brother for sure lol

I definitely have to think of a name for him, I can't keep calling him 'new guy.'  Last night I suggested Valentine to my b/f and he hated it... But I said he is red and white and stole my heart, so it's appropriate This morning I was thinking I could continue with Stephen King character names and call him Roland, the Gunslinger fish. Then I would have a ninja and a gunslinger  ;D

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
Since he looks like Nile's brother maybe you could call him Frasier. ;D

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He is beautiful! I think Lila wants to meet him. LOL! You could call him Cupid or Romeo-- I think I like Romeo!

OP
Jendayi

Jendayi

Reaction score
I got a gang valve at the store today and that is exactly what I needed to use that little whisper filter in the one gallon tank. Thanks so much for the suggestion! I also got some of the HikarI Tropical Micro Pellets that I read about in another thread, and he seems to like those much better. He even nibbled up the ones that floated to the bottom.

I like Frasier, but that is for Niles' *big* brother and my new guy is so small I ran Romeo by my b/f and he said then we'd have to get a Juliette eventually. I said WELL DUH! So Romeo is in the running lol...

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so a male name that goes with a female name is a good thing.. Kingdom Hearts 2 gives Sora & KairI (which suit Bettas origins), Final Fantasy XII gives Vaan & Penelo (yea, I love those 2 RPGs). Classic literature could give you some other beautiful names.

OP
Jendayi

Jendayi

Reaction score
Oh another gamer in the house, nice!

Well, the goal isn't really to get a pair. The goal was to get a female and the little boy just happened, oopsy...

And now my new baby boy (who I am kinda thinking of as Romeo) is already having tail problems!  :'(  I got up this afternoon from a nap and his tail has split. Not all the way, but from the end up to about where the red starts.  It was bugging him and he was messing with it earlier, but seems to be leaving it alone for the moment. I changed his water and scrubbed everything with hot water again. Then I added some bettafix, vita-chem, and the tiniest bit of aquarium salt. His little tank is at 80 degrees, so he is clean and warm.

Is it me? Is it the walmart bettas?  ??? His plants are silk and his filter has no sharp pieces. *sigh*

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it is the Wal-Mart Bettas. Both Spike & Willow came to me with fin trouble. Spike has healed a lot, but I have only had willow for a few days, but she is looking better already. I am trying the salt as a med for the first time, we'll see. I am using Stress Coat and salt, and daily water changes. I'll get some meds later if necessary.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Our betta Sora tore his tail fin almost completely to his body on the filter intake (we think) and we've been using NovAqua+ (we have vitachem in the mail) every 2 or 3 days in his tank (1 tsp for the 10g). About 1/2" of the tear has healed up already.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okay, BettaCouple, this has been driving me crazy. I recognize the names Aslan and Sora, and can't think of from where. What were the inspirations for their names? Sorry for the interruption in the conversation.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sirdarksol said:
Okay, BettaCouple, this has been driving me crazy. I recognize the names Aslan and Sora, and can't think of from where. What were the inspirations for their names? Sorry for the interruption in the conversation.
Sora is from the Kingdom Hearts games on Playstation 2. He's a good-natured blue-eyed hero who can fight like anything.
Aslan is the Lion from The Chronicles of Narnia.

Both names fit the personalities of the Bettas.. but Aslan gets too full of himself if he watches the movie.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FLBettaCouple said:
Sora is from the Kingdom Hearts games on Playstation 2. He's a good-natured blue-eyed hero who can fight like anything.
Aslan is the Lion from The Chronicles of Narnia.

Both names fit the personalities of the Bettas.. but Aslan gets too full of himself if he watches the movie.
That explains Aslan. That's not what I remember Sora from, but I read so many fantasy books that I wouldn't surprise I've seen it in more than one place. Thanks

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
JendayI said:
Is it me? Is it the walmart bettas?  ??? His plants are silk and his filter has no sharp pieces. *sigh*
I believe it is the big box stores/petshops that get Bettas in these cups and no one looks after them. My Neptune also got finrot after 2 weeks...however, I rescued Storm who was in this grimey water and not moving and almost dead, get him home, he has been on the brink of death for the whole week I've had him, yet his fins are extra long and totally beautiful! Neptune's tail is an inch long, and he is a holy terror in his tank............go figure!!

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
That's because finrot doesn't make them feel sick. Their fins are like our hair, they have no nerves. Finrot only "hurts" once it reaches the body and the bacteria start attacking their skin. An internal bacterial infection shows no symptoms on the outside but makes them feel really bad and untreated will kill them.

New Threads