Yo-yos in African cichlids tank

Fishjunkiejimmy

So I have been recommended on here to have yo yo loaches as a good clean up crew in my African cichlids tank witch I’m actually really stoked about because they are really cool to look at and to my understanding they are very interesting to watch especially if there like clown loaches.
anyway my question is do I need to get bigger yo yos or will I get away with smaller ones as I’m gonna get a half dozen. I want to get smaller ones cause I like to get all my fish small so I can watch them grow up but all my African cichlids are close to full grown and two of them are haps.
Which size yo yos should I b looking at getting ?
Mmmm I just did a bit of research about the loaches in with the cichlids and everything said don’t do it so I’m gonna not do it I don’t like having dead fish in my Conscience

A201

I've kept YoYo's, Red Tail Botias & a Tiger Loach with African Cichlids.
Absolutely no problems. Just make sure the YoYo's are too big to be considered prey & provide a lot of rock piles.
A 2.5 inch YoYo should be a good size to stock.

Fishjunkiejimmy

Oh really ok then maybe I’ll do that how many yo yos will I need for them to b comfortable and yes I’ve got plenty of rocks in there that make caves and lots of crevices

A201

I keep nine YoYo's, five Red tail Loaches & one Tiger Loach.
A group of five would probably be fine.

Fishjunkiejimmy

Ok thanks that helps it’s my understanding that they play together like clown loaches do is that what u have experienced? And how are they ads clean up crew as far as uneaten food in my non aggressive community tank I keep corys and they do a fantastic job I’m hoping for the same out of the loaches ?
Oh and I have a cuckoo catfish in there also will that b a problem ?

A201

YoYo's are active day & night. They are very efficient scavengers. Their angular face allows YoYo's to reach for food far into cracks & crevasses that other scavengers can't.
YoYo's are very durable & can defend themselves against most tankmates. They have retractable sharp eye blades spines that can be used as weapons against predators. YoYo's are one of my favorites.

Fishjunkiejimmy

Awesome one that’s what I wanna hear I’ve been interested in getting loaches for quite some time did most of my research on clowns as I got one early in the beginning of my fish keeping and it of course dies as they are not a fish for beginners and haven’t got as more as in my research I found out how big they got and haven’t had a tank big enough to house them I do now but it’s currently filled with the Africans and I was worried about puting clowns in with them as they don’t seem like they are tough enough so I’m happy to find a loach that’s looks as if not cooler than the clowns and can hold it’s own thanks again for information

A201

Just make sure the YoYo's are not tiny juveniles & give them plenty of places to hide, especially when acclimating them into the tank. Be sure to post pics.

Fishjunkiejimmy

I’ve been doing quite a bit of research and as I said I originally wanted to put clown loaches in there but didn’t as they get quite big but I have learned they actually grow quite slow and that they will do well with the Africans as long as I introduce them the same as I would the clown loaches one of the things I read was to put them in early with the Africans but it’s to late for that I’ve had the Africans for well over a year but I did recently upgrade them to 110 and I’m thinking if i totally rearranged the tank amd as Usaid include many hiding spots the clowns will b alright what’s ur thoughts on this ? It was also pointed out to me that a way to deal with the clowns getting big is once they hit 5-6 inches sell them so I don’t have to upgrade the tank I hear a 6 inch clown loaches will get a pretty good doller

A201

Clown Loaches grow incredibly slow & might never reach the projected maximum size in an aquarium environment.
CL's are often just ignored by African Cichlid tankmates. They are good scavengers, but aren't quite as durable as YoYo's. Got to keep up with the weekly water changes.

Fishjunkiejimmy

Oh yea the Ayer changes arnt that big of deal I do 10% every second day and vacuums the sand at the minimum once a week so my next question now tho is cause I do like the yo yos as well but don’t quite want a school of each if I grabbed 3 of each would they shoal together or would there have to b like 5-6 of each for them to b comfortable?

A201

Lol, no offense taken.

Fishjunkiejimmy

I read that information on the link and it make a good argument it it seems more to me that taking loaches right out of there natural habitats in the river and dunking them into lake Malawi would b a bad idea I think I’m gonna give it a try and if the loaches aren’t living the best life they can then I will remove them and bring back to my fish store there best interest is my concern but I have received a lot information on the forum that loaches are a great fit for the African tank I do appreciate u making sure I have all the information thanks

A201

There exist a couple of Synodontis catfish varieties that coexist naturally with the Cichlids of lake Malawi.
I've kept the S. Multipunctatus & found them exceptionally beautiful, active scavengers.
IMO, The Botia Loaches have proven to be a far better clean up crew. They continue to comb the substrate & hardscape for several hours after a feeding. Never any uneaten food residue.

Fishjunkiejimmy

Yea I have one cuckoo myself but it don’t get the whole tank and I hardly ever see it but maybe if I had five of them in there it wouldn’t n a problem I mean it is a 110 gallon with like 16 Africans in it I am down sizing and loosing four of my mbunas As they are a little to aggressive and have been beaten up on some of my peacocks and I already surrendered two thinking they were doing it to themselves cause they lol alike a brown color and then I put one in hospital tank to heal and when it came out it had started to colour up and when out back inside the 110 the demosoni was all over him and I noticed the two kennyi were pretty rough in my red sided peacock so I have decided to surrender the aggressive mbunas and do a mostly peacock tank with the two haps I have and keep one of the red zebra as they don’t really bother anyone and I’m raising a nice on red zebra that’s gona. Go in there when big enough anyways my point is maybe I should do a school of the cuckoos?
Yea I think that would b better to try I mean I really like the loaches but if I can get a happy medium without worrying about the health of the clean up crew then that’s what I’ll do

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LynnwoodFishDad
  • Question
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
65 Gallon Tank How Overstocked Am I?
Replies
Views
CloudTheFluffy