40 Gallon Tank Yo-yo or zebra loach to get rid of snails?

Blooper

I have had a snail infestation in my freshwater 40 gallon breeder tank for a few months now and snails have just recently invaded my filter.
I’ve done research and everyone keeps saying Clown, Yoyo, or Zebra loaches will help, but they need to be in groups of 3 or more so I already know the clowns wouldn’t work but would there be enough room for Yoyos or Zebra loaches or would I have to upgrade (I do need to upgrade anyways and will probably do that within this year).
Also my PH is very low and I can’t seem to get it back up. And how would I get the snails out of my filter would I need to pick them out 1 by 1 or do I need to buy a new one.
Please help if you can, nice meeting you all and thank you in advance.
Fishes I have:
3 dwarf gouramis, 1 common Pleco, 2 neon barbs, 2 neon tetras, 8 mollies, and 8 guppies

BigManAquatics

Welcome! Assassin snails sound like they can help your issues... also put stuff in like cucumber or zuchinni in and wait til the attract snails and grab it and toss it with the snails on it.

Blooper

Thank you I’ll try the cucumber or zucchini thing and do you have a recommendation on how many assassins I should start with I was think probably 3.

86 ssinit

I’m not a fan of assassins. They are also a pest snail. If your tank is overloaded with snails your feeding to much. You’ve got to much food laying around in your tank. Snails breed to the food source. Lots of food lots of snails. Buy (rent) a pair of clown loaches. Get the 2-3” ones. Let them eat all your snails than sell them back to your store. They will have grown and will be worth more than you paid.

Blooper

Assassin snails being pest snails was a reason why I looked more towards loaches so I understand what you’re saying and I’ll look into renting clown loaches and selling them back. Also it sounds like I shouldn’t feed as much and should do water changes more frequently so I’ll try that out thank you.

BigManAquatics

Less feeding will definitely keep the numbers down in the long term :) they can be quite hard to get rid of quickly or for good.

lexieboo

For your PH you should try crushed coral or cuttlebone. It slowly raises and stabilizes your ph overtime. I once struggled with my ph as well and I use crushed coral and my friend has used cuttlebone and we’ve both had success raising our ph. You could add like 2/3 of a cup to start. It does dissolve overtime so it’ll need to be replaced. Make sure to rinse it before adding also.

Blooper

Less feeding will definitely keep the numbers down in the long term :) they can be quite hard to get rid of quickly or for good.
Right that’s what heard there hard to rid of
For your PH you should try crushed coral or cuttlebone. It slowly raises and stabilizes your ph overtime. I once struggled with my ph as well and I use crushed coral and my friend has used cuttlebone and we’ve both had success raising our ph. You could add like 2/3 of a cup to start. It does dissolve overtime so it’ll need to be replaced. Make sure to rinse it before adding also.
Okay great the crushed coral or cuttlebone sounds like it could do the job and thanks for the reminder to rinse

Noroomforshoe

Welcome to fishlore.
If you plan to get some fish for a temporary reason please keep some things in mind. You would really need to Have a guarantee that the pet store will take back or buy back the fish.
All loaches should be in a school of six or more, they are very social.

The internet is says yoyos can tolerate 6.5 ph at the lowest, zebras 6.0,
But like you said you need to upgrade or rehome some fish, especially the pleco, before getting more fish. FYI, Yoyo loaches ate the mass of snails in my tank. I didn't even know they ate snails when I bought them 12 years ago, it was a nice surprise!

Blooper

Welcome to fishlore.
If you plan to get some fish for a temporary reason please keep some things in mind. You would really need to Have a guarantee that the pet store will take back or buy back the fish.
All loaches should be in a school of six or more, they are very social.

The internet is says yoyos can tolerate 6.5 ph at the lowest, zebras 6.0,
But like you said you need to upgrade or rehome some fish, especially the pleco, before getting more fish. FYI, Yoyo loaches ate the mass of snails in my tank. I didn't even know they ate snails when I bought them 12 years ago, it was a nice surprise!
Right I was going to do some more research and see if the pet store would take the fish back and I was also going to try the food method first but thanks for the head up about a group of 6 or more and there PH levels, definitely good to keep in mind. And the snail surprise must have been so weird with most of your snails disappearing mysteriously.

Noroomforshoe

They were pest snails! I was catching them on cucumber slices and tossing them in a bucket for my freind who had snail eating cichlids. Then one day I say the yoyos at the petstore and couldnt resist, I got 7-8 yoyos and 7-8 zebras, they were snall little guys but the snails were gone in a month. LOL

AndEEss

My yoyo is so effective with snails that I have to keep a tank solely to breed and grow snails out.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Trice0
  • Question
Replies
Views
Basil
Replies
Views
BristlenoseCatfish