Yo-yo Loaches?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Eric68, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Eric68

Eric68Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'm fairly certain these are Yo-Yo Loaches, but the petco I got them from was selling them as zebra loaches (and I can see how they might be called that), they are fairly small, a little smaller than the Gold White Clouds in the tank with them, can someone else give me a second or third opinion?

2. Charchar2

Charchar2Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    5 years
    They look like yoyo loaches to me -- at least, they definitely don't look like zebras. My LFS often labels yoyo loaches weirdly, too.

3. OP
    OP
    Eric68

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ok, I wanted to be sure, I got them because I needed a bottom feeder that was friendly with small molly fry, which crossed Catfish of the list, and so far they are just full of energy, they hardly ever sit still

Attached Files:

4. Rick bose

Rick boseValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +69
    Experience:
    1 year
    They are yoyo loaches(locally also known as tiger loaches or botia loaches in India). I am certain that they are yoyo loaches as I had them once in my aquarium. But they often chased my corydoras catfishes so I got rid of them.
    Also though it's not your question, still saying that I have 10 mollies,platys and swordtails(10 total together), some of them are small too with 6 cory catfishes and 1 pleco. I never faced any issue with the mollies and catfishes being together, they never bother each other. Cory catfish are really peaceful, loaches can sometimes get notorious and also fin nippers, I don't why you said that.
    If you are concerned that the catfishes will eat your molly fry, I assure you that loaches will do that too as they are carnivores and most importantly your mollies itself will eat all of their frys if you don't separate the frys and keep them in a different tank.

5. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My corys never bother my molly fry.

6. Rick bose

Ratings:
    +69
    Experience:
    1 year
    I agree, corys don't bother molly fries but yoyo loach do instead. yoyo loaches mostly eat molly fries. I have seen my loaches eating molly fries in my own tank. If your loaches don't eat your molly frys then probably because they are too small. Once they grow big they will eat the molly fries. Also the mollies will eat the fry themselves if the fries are not separated.

7. OP
    OP
    Eric68

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    Just started
    The fry are already grown large enough to be safe with the betta that they're with, and are eating flake food, and the yo yo Loaches are small, a little smaller than the Peacock gudgeon that's with them

8. Rick bose

Ratings:
    +69
    Experience:
    1 year
    So the loaches won't do any harm to the molly fries. Yoyo loaches eat fries as they grow bigger but since your fries will also become mature mollies long before that, so the yoyo loaches won't do anything.
    But when the yoyo loaches gets fully matured if then you keep them with new small molly fries, the loaches will get them.
    Anyway my point is cory catfish never bother small molly fishes as you said. They are friendly. I have them in my own tank with small molly fries. Then again it's your choice. If you like yoyo loaches more than cory catfish, you should go with the loaches. But catfish don't bother small molly fries. You can ask others too in forum creating a different question that whether cory catfish bother small molly fries.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    Eric68

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'm probably not going to keep them, while I would I've to0, four fully grown harlequin sailfin a seem like they would overstock the 20g they're in. I will likely either sell them or give them to someone who loves mollies.

I do have a bigger tank but they would most certainly get eaten in it, as I have two large Ornate Pim Catfish in it that would love to have mollies as a snack

Attached Files: