Yo Yo Loaches As Bottom Feeders With Mbunas

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This question came up in a thread of mine that went quiet so I figured why not make a thread dedicated to the question for as many opinions as possible.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yoyos are active and great bottom feeders, but not for a mbuna tank. They lack the tough skin that many catfish have and aren't able to deal with aggression like a pleco or synodontis. I have seen it done before with clown loaches, but I wouldn't recommend it.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's why I'm asking here. Research wise it's a no with the exception of them having eye blades and some spines, but experience wise I've heard it can be possible

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I’ll do some research on the synodontis, not sure about several fish that can get almost a foot long though.
I’d also like to stay clear of plecos for this tank as I’ve heard mbunas can have a taste for their eyes and I’d hate to do something that causes such a fate to a fish

M-Stokes

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’ll do some research on the synodontis, not sure about several fish that can get almost a foot long though.
I’d also like to stay clear of plecos for this tank as I’ve heard mbunas can have a taste for their eyes and I’d hate to do something that causes such a fate to a fish
Lucipinnis and petricola are smaller synodontis.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks, I’ll see if I can get my lfs to order some for me instead of the yo yos

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom