Yo Yo Loaches As Bottom Feeders With Mbunas

nikm128

This question came up in a thread of mine that went quiet so I figured why not make a thread dedicated to the question for as many opinions as possible.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Yoyos are active and great bottom feeders, but not for a mbuna tank. They lack the tough skin that many catfish have and aren't able to deal with aggression like a pleco or synodontis. I have seen it done before with clown loaches, but I wouldn't recommend it.

nikm128

That's why I'm asking here. Research wise it's a no with the exception of them having eye blades and some spines, but experience wise I've heard it can be possible

nikm128

What would you recommend then?

nikm128

I’ll do some research on the synodontis, not sure about several fish that can get almost a foot long though.
I’d also like to stay clear of plecos for this tank as I’ve heard mbunas can have a taste for their eyes and I’d hate to do something that causes such a fate to a fish

M-Stokes

nikm128 said:
I’ll do some research on the synodontis, not sure about several fish that can get almost a foot long though.
I’d also like to stay clear of plecos for this tank as I’ve heard mbunas can have a taste for their eyes and I’d hate to do something that causes such a fate to a fish
Lucipinnis and petricola are smaller synodontis.

nikm128

Thanks, I’ll see if I can get my lfs to order some for me instead of the yo yos

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom