Yo-yo behavior

Lady Indiana

I have a 9mo yo-yo. I originally got 2 but I haven’t seen the other one in 6mos so I’m pretty sure he’s no longer with us

the lone yo-yo constantly swims around with my angels, G and tetras. I thought yo-yo were supposed to be bottom dwellers. Sometimes he’ll skim the bottom but mostly he’s “shoaling” with the other fishes. Then other times he’ll saddle up next to my algae eater and try to hang on the glass. Is this normal? Oh, and during feeding time he pesters all the fish. He’ll swim fish to fish “kissing” them on the cheeks. He’s not hurting them (I don’t think) b/c they’re not scared of him they just turn their faces away. Is he having an identity crisis??

I’ve never owned yo-yo’s b4 so I’m not familiar with their normal behavior. I currently have 2 kuhlis and have had several of those throughout my 25+ aquarium keeping. But these 2 species are world apart. lol

Also I’m considering getting him a yo-yo friend. I have a 55gal with 2 kuhli, 3 corys, 2 algae and 1 clown pleco. I don’t want to overstock the bottom. And I don’t want and issues with the size/age diff bt the two.

thx

veggieshark

I don't know the answer for sure, but since it is alone, I think it is trying to school with other things that resemble its own species. I had a very large black skirt tetra that used to hang out with angels. Yo-Yo's are a little territorial as far as I know, but they still interact with each other quite a bit. I am not a Yo-Yo expert though, so just guessing.

RandomFishBoi

I had a single Yo-yo loach with 2 pictus catfish once, and whenever the catfish would come out and swim against the glass the Yo-Yo would get all excited and swim with them. He was especially excited when I first added the catfish.

Kribensis27

I love this. A fish having an identity crisis.

Kribensis27

Although I guess my angelfish thinks he’s a tiger barb so I can’t judge

Kribensis27

RandomFishBoi said:
I had a single 2-inch clown loach school with tiger barbs once.
That’s adorable. It’s also kind of cute how my tiger barbs will just school with anyone and roll with it.

SinSins

Lady Indiana said:
I have a 9mo yo-yo. I originally got 2 but I haven’t seen the other one in 6mos so I’m pretty sure he’s no longer with us

the lone yo-yo constantly swims around with my angels, G and tetras. I thought yo-yo were supposed to be bottom dwellers. Sometimes he’ll skim the bottom but mostly he’s “shoaling” with the other fishes. Then other times he’ll saddle up next to my algae eater and try to hang on the glass. Is this normal? Oh, and during feeding time he pesters all the fish. He’ll swim fish to fish “kissing” them on the cheeks. He’s not hurting them (I don’t think) b/c they’re not scared of him they just turn their faces away. Is he having an identity crisis??

I’ve never owned yo-yo’s b4 so I’m not familiar with their normal behavior. I currently have 2 kuhlis and have had several of those throughout my 25+ aquarium keeping. But these 2 species are world apart. lol

Also I’m considering getting him a yo-yo friend. I have a 55gal with 2 kuhli, 3 corys, 2 algae and 1 clown pleco. I don’t want to overstock the bottom. And I don’t want and issues with the size/age diff bt the two.

thx
My yoyo does NOT like other yoyos, but schools with all the other fish in the tank happily. She does mimic their behaviours when they do certain things (like scrubbing sideways in the sand, trying to stick to the glass with the Plecos, cuddling with Pictus and Cory catfish, zooming along with the weather Loaches, etc.)
She even works together with my big fish, digging out the plants so she can eat the roots while the big guys eat the leaves and stems. She's an absolute agent of chaos...

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom