Yo Is This Okay?

1. A

AidanG20G New Member Member

so I have a loach and it is lying upside down at the top and it has a red hole on its stomach. It’s alive and it’s doing it on purpose. What should I do?

Here is a photo

Attached Files:

2. cadd

cadd Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure it's not doing that on purpose.

3. OP
    OP
    A

Nope. If I tap on the glass it will go to the bottom swim around and then come up again and reposition itself like that.

4. Triston Wasmund

Triston Wasmund Well Known Member Member

Well it is obviously very ill, and it needs medical attention.. do you have a quarantine tank?

5. OP
    OP
    A

Nope. Am I screwed?

Poor kid looks sick. Should I put em out of his misery and remove him and flush him?

Attached Files:

6. Triston Wasmund

uuuhhh, no.. I believe it is an issue with his swimbladder, causing him to float... How long has he been in the tank? What are your water parameters?

7. OP
    OP
    A

Ahh... idk really.. I’m just a casual fish keeper so I don’t teally have this stuff.

He’s been in for a week.

8. Triston Wasmund

DO NOT FLUSH HIM DOWN THE TOILET!! We need to wait and see if we can come to a resolution.. If you ever had to euthanize a fish you would do it the most humane way possible, but this might be fixable, just wait till some more people come by

9. OP
    OP
    A

Should I put him in a container w/ water from the tank for now?

10. Triston Wasmund

I heard you can try an Epsom salt bath or something by removing him and putting him into another container, try and look it up to see what it is... I think he has a swimbladder problem though

Yeah I would go ahead and do so, but make sure it is a big enough container

@junebug I saw you had answered a forum on swimbladder and was wondering if you could help

What do you feed him, and what is your tank temperature, and also what other fish and stuff do you have in the tank

11. OP
    OP
    A

Got him in a tiny container with aquarium water. What now?

Here he is. He’s alive btw

Attached Files:

12. A

AntsRule Valued Member Member

Don't let the water get cold. I would rest the container in the tank.

13. OP
    OP
    A

Food: Aqueon Tropical Flakes
    Temperature: 84 F
    Other Fish: 2 guppies 4 red platys a bunch of snails 2 Cory catfish and another loach

14. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

84 F is much too high for your fish. I would lower it to 74 F at least. You have stocking issues if you'd like to discuss them, but we can help you sort that out after we address your fish issues.

What is the size of the tank? How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change at a time?

Even casual fish keepers should have a testing kit (liquid is better than strips). Knowing water parameters is essential to keeping your fish healthy and happy. Can you take a sample of water to your fish store for them to test it for you?

Please, never flush fish (alive or dead) down the toilet. Euthanize humanely, and then throw fish in the trash or bury them outside.

15. cadd

Just curious who instructed you to set the tank at 84.

I would slowly drop it 1 degree per hour down to 75 - 76.

16. OP
    OP
    A

Sorry y’all. He stopped breathing so we flushed em down. He was twitching but we couldn’t put him through all of this. Sorry everyone.

17. A

AntsRule Valued Member Member

18. OP
    OP
    A

Dropped temp

19. cadd

To what?

20. OP
    OP
    A

Idk the thermometer needs to update. Question: if you have any spare fish to breed I’ll gladly take fry or eggs if you are willing.

21. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Please don't flush any fish down the toilet in the future, alive or dead.

I wouldn't add any more fish to you tank until you figure out what's going on in it - it sounds like you have stocking and potentially water quality issues.