Help Yikes! What's Coming Out??

oodelally

Active Member
Member
Messages
316
Reaction score
52
Location
Oregon
Experience
2 years
Right as I was heading out the door I caught a look at this guy and immediately put him in a breeder box I had on hand since I didn't have time for anything else. He's one of my oldest and favorite since he's got such a personality and is always happy to see me and the only one that loves to get pictures taken. It looks pretty bad like his intestines are coming out, and it was not like that last night before bed.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
15g

How long has the tank been running?
1 year

Does it have a filter?
Yes Aqueon Quietflow 10

Does it have a heater?
Yes

What is the water temperature?
It's set for 75

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
4 Guppies
5 Ember Tetras
2 Nerite Snails
1 (probably temporary) honey gourami

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Smaller amounts every 2-3 days

How much of the water do you change?
1 gallonish

What do you use to treat your water?
Prime

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacuum about once a week

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes

What do you use to test the water?
API test kit

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

I was just heading out the door for work so I can't test till I get home, but there was a water change last night

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Once a day

How much do you feed your fish?
A few bloodworms for each fish, or a pinch or two of flake food

What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Frozen blood warms and I don't remember what flake brand

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
Over a year (from another tank before I set this one up)

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Happened overnight

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
See above and pictures

Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Didn't have time, don't know what to do

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Didn't have time to tell, but was pretty much staying in the same area on top-mid of tank

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
See above and pictures
 

Attachments

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Member
Messages
552
Reaction score
397
Location
California
Experience
More than 10 years
Yikes is right. The pics aren't real clear, but I'm guessing a major prolapse? Epsom salt at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons will sometimes help, but I've never seen it that bad. Odds for a good outcome probably not great, to be honest., Good luck.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
oodelally

oodelally

Active Member
Member
Messages
316
Reaction score
52
Location
Oregon
Experience
2 years
I just got home and have been fretting all day over it. I was really afraid I’d come home to a dead fish but luckily he looks fine?? I’m not sure what it was, but it looks like it’s been passed. I have him still in the breeder box to be safe for now but his body looks okay and I found this at the bottom. It looked more red and solid this morning but more brown and fell apart when I got it out.
 

Attachments

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,667
Reaction score
9,384
Location
Rhode Island USA
Experience
Just started
Must have been a blood worm that went through his system without proper digestion maybe? Glad he’s lookin and doin better
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
oodelally

oodelally

Active Member
Member
Messages
316
Reaction score
52
Location
Oregon
Experience
2 years
kallililly1973 said:
Must have been a blood worm that went through his system without proper digestion maybe? Glad he’s lookin and doin better
That’s a good possibility, I did feed them some right before bed. Maybe a bit too much? It’s hard to make sure everyone is getting the right amount when they are all eating at once, but I’m definitely going to keep a better eye on it.

It was so big though! Glad it wasn’t actually part of him...
 

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,667
Reaction score
9,384
Location
Rhode Island USA
Experience
Just started
oodelally said:
That’s a good possibility, I did feed them some right before bed. Maybe a bit too much? It’s hard to make sure everyone is getting the right amount when they are all eating at once, but I’m definitely going to keep a better eye on it.

It was so big though! Glad it wasn’t actually part of him...
Yes definitely it wasn't part of him. have you since added him back into your population seeing he passed it . It might be a good idea just to put less stress on him. Just my opinion.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
oodelally

oodelally

Active Member
Member
Messages
316
Reaction score
52
Location
Oregon
Experience
2 years
Yeah I just did thanks for the reminder. I wanted to make sure he seemed healthy besides that but he seems to be pretty active. I’m going to let them all fast for today though.
 

Alan0823

Active Member
Member
Messages
137
Reaction score
21
oodelally said:
Right as I was heading out the door I caught a look at this guy and immediately put him in a breeder box I had on hand since I didn't have time for anything else. He's one of my oldest and favorite since he's got such a personality and is always happy to see me and the only one that loves to get pictures taken. It looks pretty bad like his intestines are coming out, and it was not like that last night before bed.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
15g

How long has the tank been running?
1 year

Does it have a filter?
Yes Aqueon Quietflow 10

Does it have a heater?
Yes

What is the water temperature?
It's set for 75

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
4 Guppies
5 Ember Tetras
2 Nerite Snails
1 (probably temporary) honey gourami

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Smaller amounts every 2-3 days

How much of the water do you change?
1 gallonish

What do you use to treat your water?
Prime

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacuum about once a week

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes

What do you use to test the water?
API test kit

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

I was just heading out the door for work so I can't test till I get home, but there was a water change last night

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Once a day

How much do you feed your fish?
A few bloodworms for each fish, or a pinch or two of flake food

What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Frozen blood warms and I don't remember what flake brand

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
Over a year (from another tank before I set this one up)

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Happened overnight

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
See above and pictures

Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Didn't have time, don't know what to do

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Didn't have time to tell, but was pretty much staying in the same area on top-mid of tank

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
See above and pictures
Is that guppy a male or female, if it's a female and have it had any fry before? I've seen hat before on one of my female guppy's after she had fry this sac came out two weeks later it looks just like that! and it just fell out and it was fine I'm not kidding that happened to one of mine before.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
oodelally

oodelally

Active Member
Member
Messages
316
Reaction score
52
Location
Oregon
Experience
2 years
Alan0823 said:
Is that guppy a male or female, if it's a female and have it had any fry before? I've seen hat before on one of my female guppy's after she had fry this sac came out two weeks later it looks just like that! and it just fell out and it was fine I'm not kidding that happened to one of mine before.
That’s so weird! He’s male, but that would make sense if he wasn’t.
 

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,667
Reaction score
9,384
Location
Rhode Island USA
Experience
Just started
How is he doing today? I think it’s a good thing it’s not a female cause from the looks of that and if it were on a female you would think it would end a lot worse.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
oodelally

oodelally

Active Member
Member
Messages
316
Reaction score
52
Location
Oregon
Experience
2 years
kallililly1973 said:
How is he doing today? I think it’s a good thing it’s not a female cause from the looks of that and if it were on a female you would think it would end a lot worse.
He seems good thanks! I’ve been keeping an eye on him and he seems pretty normal and energetic. I still haven’t feed them yet but I will tonight, I have a frozen food pack and one of them has some veggies in it I’ll give them for a little fiber.

I am SO HAPPY that this wasn’t a bigger deal than it was. I feel so lucky.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
88
Guests online
1,817
Total visitors
1,905

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom