Question Yikes PH at 5.5 from 7.0????

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore 1*Risk!

By Nitr-5, do you mean nitrites or nitrates? Your profile indicates that you are aware of the nitrogen cycle and that you started your tank only a couple of weeks ago. Did you use anything to cycle the tank quickly, such as TSS or seeded gravel?

I'm assuming that you have 0 ammonia and 5 nitrite. What is your nitrate level? If my assumptions are true, then I'm thinking that your tank is still cycling. And, the pH will go all over the place while this is happening. These fluctuations can be stressful on fish.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Water/pH section of the forum.

Thanks!
Ken

1*Risk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to Fishlore 1*Risk!

By Nitr-5, do you mean nitrites or nitrates? Your profile indicates that you are aware of the nitrogen cycle and that you started your tank only a couple of weeks ago. Did you use anything to cycle the tank quickly, such as TSS or seeded gravel?

I'm assuming that you have 0 ammonia and 5 nitrite. What is your nitrate level? If my assumptions are true, then I'm thinking that your tank is still cycling. And, the pH will go all over the place while this is happening. These fluctuations can be stressful on fish.
Nitrates were at the time of post 5ppm. To answer your question yes I did Carib Instant Aquarium Gravel-Tahitian Moon (Love the black look) and TSS

I just did a gravel vac for the 1st time with a Aqueon Water Changer hose you attach to sink and my lord I sucked 50 water out before I knew it last night. I also replaced my activated carbon (located in the middle) with a large 70 bag in the 2nd bay along with a biomax 50 filter (on top) with bio balls on bottom. Ran all tests this morning and everything is normal Ph 7 Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0 Ammonia 0.

I am not sure if I was using the wand the wrong way but I was going straight up and down and had to turn sink faucet full blast to get vaccum going.

Last edited:

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like your tank is settling down. It may have just been completing it's cycling process, but hard to tell. I'd keep a close watch on all the parameters to ensure no further sudden changes.

Good luck with your new tank!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom