Yikes Nitrites!

Krissy2

Reaction score
Hmnnnn... I need a little help here. I have a new tank (5 gallon fluval) that has been stocked with live plants and a betta (he was in a filthy cup and my plant shopping spree turned into a rescue mission) for a week and a half. I am using Seachem prime and I changed 25% of the water after one week. Unless I’m crazy, I don’t see an alarming amount of ammonia... but it looks like my nitrite is at an alarming level. I don’t want to hurt my fish! Can someone please tell me their thoughts on this? I’m relatively new to the hobby. Thank you!

Attachments

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Krissy2 said:
Thank you!!! I just did a 75% water change... this is much better, but is it acceptable?
Definitely much better! Did you treat your tank with Prime? It will detoxify up to 1ppm of ammonia and nitrites for 24-48 hours.

OP
Krissy2

Krissy2

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Definitely much better! Did you treat your tank with Prime? It will detoxify up to 1ppm of ammonia and nitrites for 24-48 hours.
I did use prime. I’m wondering if I should do another water change or add more prime tomorrow... would that be overkill?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Krissy2 said:
I did use prime. I’m wondering if I should do another water change or add more prime tomorrow... would that be overkill?
It looks like you got your nitrites down to .25 I would do another 50-75% WC tomorrow.

OP
Krissy2

Krissy2

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could weigh in on my latest reading. I changed 75% of the water Thursday night, and 50% last night. This is my reading from this morning... not sure if I should make another water change or perhaps add more prime.

Attachments

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
About .50 ammonia and nitrite and 10 nitrates... ide do another 50-75% and add prime for the entire volume of the tank... did u say u tested your source water? You may have some nitrates in it giving u those readings also b sure to beat the **** outta the nitrate bottles to ensure an accurate reading

OP
Krissy2

Krissy2

Reaction score
Don’t you worry... I was shaking it like a salt shaker! I’m just glad I’m the only one home. Haha! I checked my water source and it’s all good. Could it help to dose more prime without making such a large water change? Just curious.

New Threads