Yikes! my cycle has crashed!! (axolotl owner)

bigw666rm

Reaction score
Hello all!
I accidentally cleaned a little too much of my aquarium and caused the cycle to crash.
I'm feeling pretty anxious and silly and want to make sure I do things properly to get it right. I tested the water and it's reading 0.25 ammonia , 0.00 Nitrites, and 0.00 Nitrates. I have a general understanding of the Nitrogen cycle as I have done research and have had my Axolotl for 2 years now.
I work for an aquatic department (just recently started and am still learning a bunch) but if I were to take filter media from a very well established aquarium from my work and place it in my filter, would this cause the cycle to speed up?
I've also read up on using starter fish, and as I work for an aquatic store I would be able to donate them back to the store afterwards.
I'm a little worried about using these methods because of diseases. As for using established filter media, I'm a little worried since I read that if copper medications have been used in those tanks it will be toxic to my axolotl.
I want to make sure I have all of the correct information, so please correct me if this is wrong.

My axolotl is currently in fresh water, conditioned with prime, in a Tupperware container and I feel so bad for ruining his home. Hoping to get him back in the tank asap, but want to make sure I do things right to establish a proper cycle.

Tank size: 20 Gallon
Filtration system: Fluval 206 ( in my clean I changed out the carbon, as my water has been an off colour and I read that it's okay to change it out monthly. I did clean the sponges in a bucket of tank water...but I made the poor mistake of letting the sponges get dry and I'm assuming this is what caused my beneficial bacteria to die)

Any advice or help is much appreciated, thank you in advanced!

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok so, 0.25 Am isn't bad. You shouldnt have been able to crash your cycle by cleaning the tank because most of the bb is on the filter media/bio balls/bio media. The only way that I can see that you might have been to crash it is to empty the enite tank, clean it and let all dry. However, I do belive you that is crashed somehow. Filer media from an established tank willhelp jumpstart the cycling process. Are you working at a LFS, small chain or big box store? If you are workinh at an LFS then they usually have separate filtration on rach tank. Find a healthy tank and ger some filter medI form that tank. It depends on how a small chain works so do either the LFS route that I just sugguested or the big box store mrathod that I am going to sugguest. For a big box store the aquariums usually run on a centralized filtration. That means that if ALL of the tanks share the same water. If just ONE fish is sick all of the others have a chance of getting sick now. These diseaes can and will get trapped in the filter media. So long story short: don't use the media from a centralized filtration unit for many, many tanks. Good luck. I hope that I didnt confuse you

OP
B

bigw666rm

Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:
Ok so, 0.25 Am isn't bad. You shouldnt have been able to crash your cycle by cleaning the tank because most of the bb is on the filter media/bio balls/bio media. The only way that I can see that you might have been to crash it is to empty the enite tank, clean it and let all dry. However, I do belive you that is crashed somehow. Filer media from an established tank willhelp jumpstart the cycling process. Are you working at a LFS, small chain or big box store? If you are workinh at an LFS then they usually have separate filtration on rach tank. Find a healthy tank and ger some filter medI form that tank. It depends on how a small chain works so do either the LFS route that I just sugguested or the big box store mrathod that I am going to sugguest. For a big box store the aquariums usually run on a centralized filtration. That means that if ALL of the tanks share the same water. If just ONE fish is sick all of the others have a chance of getting sick now. These diseaes can and will get trapped in the filter media. So long story short: don't use the media from a centralized filtration unit for many, many tanks. Good luck. I hope that I didnt confuse you
I work for an LFS so I'll make sure to find a healthy tank, thank you for your response! :)

New Threads