Yikes! All My Fish Are On One Side Of The Tank..

• Thread starter Ouskamp
  • Start date

Ouskamp

Y'all have been so helpful that I thought I would reach out once again..

To catch you up (I've posted about this tank before), I have Rasbora's (6) and Guppies (now 3) and the Guppies were keeling off one by one. I bought a test kit and test every day now and have also added Prime to the tank.

Today I can't help but notice that my fish are all staying on one side of the tank except for a couple (my Guppy, Brave and a Rasbora). What is going on here? They have all selected a location and stay there..on the side of the tank. I tested the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates and I couldn't ask for better! I just don't get it. Do any of you know what the deal is? I thought maybe the water flow was too much so I added more water to the tank. They all dispersed from the side of the tank (I added water on the opposite side of the tank) and now they're all back there. Would love your feedback.

Thanks so much!;)

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
If its just after a water change, maybe the new water is different temperature or pH and until it mixes better theyre avoiding it?

I have no idea, that's kinda weird

Skavatar

Well Known
could be stress or aggression or just staking out their territory (safe place).

in my 2 goldfish tanks, they tend to favor the left side.

A201

Fishlore VIP
If a solo fish is on one side and the tank mates are all on the opposite side, its aggression. Other than that its likely, lighting, current, or security issues.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Mine do that with the current of the tank. If I switch it they move.

Ouskamp

This just started today. They were all together and now this. I don't get it?!

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
Do you have something dead on that side? One of your fish, or a snail?

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
As Ronniethewitch said do a head count and make sure everyone is accounted for. Test your water and post here and lastly be sure the flow isn't causing them to migrate to one side of the tank. If you have an HOB try to slide it across the back if you have room to do so and see if they migrate to a different area. Post pics.

Ouskamp

I did do a head count and I did test the water and I also posted pics. The pump cannot be moved because of how the lid sits. I had a dead Guppy this morning and quickly removed it. It was on the opposite side of the tank. It was behaving fine and then yesterday I found it hiding behind the rock on the substrate (see photo). I had a feeling it wouldn't make it. I have lost almost every Guppy and the Rasbora's are going strong. Once again..the water tests are excellent! That is why I'm so perplexed.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
Would it be possible to take the lid off -just for a short time- to experiment with the placement of the pump?

Just to cross it off the list of possibilities?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Anything vibrating on the opposite side? There was a post on here with something similar, they left a phone alarm(I think) vibrating and it scared the heck out the fish.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Ouskamp said:
I did do a head count and I did test the water and I also posted pics. The pump cannot be moved because of how the lid sits. I had a dead Guppy this morning and quickly removed it. It was on the opposite side of the tank. It was behaving fine and then yesterday I found it hiding behind the rock on the substrate (see photo). I had a feeling it wouldn't make it. I have lost almost every Guppy and the Rasbora's are going strong. Once again..the water tests are excellent! That is why I'm so perplexed.
Even quickly removing a dead guppy can cause a bit of ammonia. I would do a 60-70% WC and retest everything tomorrow and be sure to add your Prime for the entire volume of the tank.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
Really, the fact that your fish are dying is more important than where they are swimming. Water changes go a long way in helping to treat ANY issue until diagnosing and treating it. (Some treatments need you to not change water for awhile) but until you get to the root of the problem, you just can't have water that is too clean.

Atomicfish

Hmm you have really perplexed me too on this one. Guppies are usually a pretty hardy fish and you said that you keep loosing them so something has to be up with your tank.

Ouskamp

Skavatar said:
could be stress or aggression or just staking out their territory (safe place).

in my 2 goldfish tanks, they tend to favor the left side.
They're on the left in mine too! When the Blue LED is on..they swim around. So odd that they would rather stay on the left than enjoy their tank.

Ronniethewitch said:
Really, the fact that your fish are dying is more important than where they are swimming. Water changes go a long way in helping to treat ANY issue until diagnosing and treating it. (Some treatments need you to not change water for awhile) but until you get to the root of the problem, you just can't have water that is too clean.
Thank you. Their water is clean. I do a change weekly and also suction the substrate. I've talked to so many Guppy people and I'm told they are just really fragile. The Rasboras are fine. My poor Guppies. Despite great water tests, something is going on.

Atomicfish said:
Hmm you have really perplexed me too on this one. Guppies are usually a pretty hardy fish and you said that you keep loosing them so something has to be up with your tank.
I appreciate your reply..but it's the opposite of what I've been told. I've been told Guppies are fragile. My Rasbora's are thriving. Water quality is excellent so I'm perplexed too!

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
Ouskamp said:
Thank you. Their water is clean. I do a change weekly and also suction the substrate. I've talked to so many Guppy people and I'm told they are just really fragile. The Rasboras are fine. My poor Guppies. Despite great water tests, something is going on.
I meant no offence re: water changes. Weekly changes are great for normal maintenance, I was thinking that when there is an issue and we are unsure what it is (we only test for a few things, right?) Extra water changes can sometimes help with diluting the problem until you figure it out. I sure hope you do figure it out. :)

Ouskamp

One of my Guppies is using his pelvic fins A LOT. Usually they use their caudal fins..my poor babies

pagoda

Well Known
When the lights are off or blue or red/UV my fish all congregate on the left end of the aquariums...opposite end to the filter....I have done the planting so to give them sheltered secure sleeping area and that's where they all swim to in the evenings. Murf (Betta) & Bouncer (Cory) in the hex aquarium also have a set area for sleeping or resting in when the lights are off or blue. Then in the morning and lights are on they are galivanting everywhere in their aquariums.

In the wild you will often see fish head for the weeds when the sun starts to set then set off swimming at sunrise

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Ouskamp said:
They're on the left in mine too! When the Blue LED is on..they swim around. So odd that they would rather stay on the left than enjoy their tank.
I think you answered you question right here. It seems your fish aren't comfortable with your light. My fish were the same way when I put a shop light on my tank. They went into hiding when it was on. I removed it and put my florescent lights back on the tank and they are all content again.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
how's your guppy doing now? Any improvement?

Ouskamp

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Anything vibrating on the opposite side? There was a post on here with something similar, they left a phone alarm(I think) vibrating and it scared the heck out the fish.
No..no vibrating. ;)

Ouskamp

Ronniethewitch said:
how's your guppy doing now? Any improvement?
Thank you for asking. One died last night. Another this afternoon and it looks like one of the last of my 2 is dying.:( I don't understand how with great water parameters and clean water this is happening. I won't buy anymore guppies. I've buried each one. Makes me so sad.

Ouskamp

Ronniethewitch said:
I meant no offence re: water changes. Weekly changes are great for normal maintenance, I was thinking that when there is an issue and we are unsure what it is (we only test for a few things, right?) Extra water changes can sometimes help with diluting the problem until you figure it out. I sure hope you do figure it out. :)
I'm sorry if I sounded snarky. That wasn't my intention at all. Just worried about my babies.

Ouskamp

Ronniethewitch said:
Do you have something dead on that side? One of your fish, or a snail?
No dead things.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
I get you. It just really is a mystery to me. I just want to keep your remaining fish alive.

Ouskamp

Ronniethewitch said:
I get you. It just really is a mystery to me. I just want to keep your remaining fish alive.
This morning I awoke to only 1 Guppy. My last blue one died during the night and Brave is my last one (he's orange and the sole survivor). However, my Rasboras are doing great. I thought that Guppies would add a nice pop of color to my tank and they're so cute! Over the last month they slowly dropped off. It's a mystery how with the excellent water parameters, clean water, food and lots of plants, etc. that they didn't make it. Tank is at 78. Maybe it was too warm or too cold? Maybe the pH for Rasboras is different for Guppies? I just don't know. I'm just saddened that I bought them to give them an awesome home and instead, they met their maker in such a short time.:( Thank you to all that tried to help. I appreciate you and your time.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Probably not the issue, but I'm curious what your pH is. I can't keep livebearers well, I'm sure it is my soft water.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
You say your parameters are great, but what are they exactly? How long ago did you cycle? Are your rasborras newer? What's the order and time frame for building your tank?

I ask because losing so many fish in such a short time is not normal, even for fragile fish...it's just not. We really do need to figure out the problem before more die on you.

Top Bottom