Yet Another Stocking Question

Ree C

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I suspected I had accidently come close to over stocking my 36 G bow front. How you may ask? I started with three fancy guppies, some RCS, 10 neon tetras and 15 pygmy corys. over a month or two, I began finding dead corys...no idea why. Parameters are consistently Ni-0, A-0,NiA-20 to 40,PH 7, GH 6 KH 3. So I confirmed the death of 5 pygmy cories, and then confused shedding RCS for pygmy corpses (I didnt know they molted..silly me). As the cats were WILD CAUGHT, THEY WERE SUPER SHY AND I NEVER SAW THEM, SO I THOUGHT THEY ALL DIED. I added some panda corys, and lost the first ones, so depressing, and what the heck was wrong with this cory cat death tank??. I had 7 healthy julies in my other tank, so I decided to cut the losses on the panda experiment, and added 4 Julies to join the lone remaining panda. They all survived. Thinking my tank held 3guppies, a million RCS , 10 neons and 5 corys, I added two honey gouramis (females). Then, 6 months after I added them, the pygmy corys apparently acclimated, and came out of hiding..ten of the 15 re alive and well. Current stockig is 10 pygmy cory, 4 julis, one panda, 10 neons, three guppies (male) and 2 gouramis. While my perameters remained fine, I suspected I was over stocked and looked on line to see what concerns I should watch for. I ran my stocking thru the stocking calculator...and was surprised to see that according to the calculator, I am only stocked at 65% I know the calcualtor is not perfect, so I wanted some opinions on the stocking levels in this heavily planted tank. If I am not over stocked I would like to add another julI cory to make a better shoal. And, a male honey gouramI would be fun,

Attachments

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good to hear the remaining pygmies are doing well
I’d suggest rehoming the lone panda cory & upping the number of Juliis (which btw are more than likely C.trilineatus.) panda corys are notorious for cross breeding especially when kept in too small a number. I think a male honey gouramI would enjoy being added to your two females

New Threads