Yet Another Stocking Question :)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by CJ3, Apr 24, 2018.

1. CJ3New MemberMember

I am starting up a new tank. I moved cross country and had to break down my 30 gallon and rehome my fish (only had it about year or so). SO....starting it back again and want to try something a little different. What are thoughts on the following stocking plan (the tank will be planted)? The guppies, and bolivian ram would be new to me. Thanks!!!!

3 guppies (male only)
    14 neon tetra
    6 panda cory
    2 honey gourami
    1 bolivian ram
    shrimp....not sure type or number (read that they don't contribute much to bioload??)

aqadvisor tells me the following:
    Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 158%.
    Recommended water change schedule: 28% per week.
    Your aquarium stocking level is 83%.

2. endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

I'd say no to the guppies as they need hard, alkaline water, and your other fish listed are soft water fish. Where are you getting your neons and honey gouramis from? Where we are, they all come from Thailand and arrive exhausted; very few survive. If you can get Florida bred neons, they're supposed to be quite healthy. Honey gouramis don't like anything short of well-aged bb and perfect water, so I'd add them at the end. Another problem is that stores tend to sell male honeys because they're prettier, but this might work for you if they stake out different areas of the tank. Another idea is to replace the guppies and the honey gouramis with a small school of golden Pristellas. How about 10 neons and 10 golden Pristellas?

3. CJ3New MemberMember

Thank you! Great info. I don't know where my LFS gets their stock, I'll ask. Its a nice local shop that cares a good variety of both fresh and salt water fish. Pristellas would be interesting I'll give them a look. I do like the honey gouramis though they are pretty fish and fun to watch.

4. Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Honey gourami are generally considered good community fish & not territorial - so having multiple males isn’t usually a problem. I live on the East coast & have not had any trouble with source stock for my honeys. But that may just be me being lucky.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice