Yet another cycling question

nj278

Hi,

So I bought a 250 litre tank that came with a canister filter and heater and things two weeks ago. It's been running for a good 10-14 days empty while I've been adding fish food. When I picked it up, the woman said that she had only emptied it with that morning. The filter media (bioballs, ceramic rings, sponge etc.) was all still wet. Two days ago I added a number of plants. I gave the tank a good scrub when I got it.

Anyway. I've just now tested the water. Ammonia is 1ppm, nitrites are 0ppm, and nitrates are 40ppm (I think. It's either between 20-40 or 40-80). What would the cause of this be? Im assuming the tank isn't cycled, but perhaps the bacteria that may have been left in the filter is doing a bit?

Thank you!

EnderKing

Well u need more bacteria and u need to do more water changes.I would say a 25% 5 times a month and keep cycling it for a few weeks

JustAFishServant

Hi,

So I bought a 250 litre tank that came with a canister filter and heater and things two weeks ago. It's been running for a good 10-14 days empty while I've been adding fish food. When I picked it up, the woman said that she had only emptied it with that morning. The filter media (bioballs, ceramic rings, sponge etc.) was all still wet. Two days ago I added a number of plants. I gave the tank a good scrub when I got it.

Anyway. I've just now tested the water. Ammonia is 1ppm, nitrites are 0ppm, and nitrates are 40ppm (I think. It's either between 20-40 or 40-80). What would the cause of this be? Im assuming the tank isn't cycled, but perhaps the bacteria that may have been left in the filter is doing a bit?

Thank you!
I assume a mini cycle. The tank doesn't seem new especially with a canister filter and great biomedia so I doubt it was uncycled. Beneficial bacteria is aerobic and require oxygen to survive but can live up to 24 hours without it. Mini cycles come from removing items with bacteria colonies living in/on it (i.e. substrate, hardscape, plants & filter media). Keep adding your source of ammonia (fish food, in your case), feel free to try TSS, TSS+, Fritz Zyme or Seachem Stability as they can help cycle your tank faster and stay patient! :)

EnderKing

Maybe try some stress zyme from ADI that computations live bacteria
Oops I ment contains

mattgirl

Well u need more bacteria and u need to do more water changes.I would say a 25% 5 times a month and keep cycling it for a few weeks
This is a fishless cycle. All those water changes do not need to be done.
Have you run the nitrate test on your tap water? It seems lots of folks have nitrates in it. If you have none then I have to think the bacteria in the filter was alive and well. It is in there doing its job. Kinda strange to still be seeing 1ppm ammonia and nitrates this high while just feeding fish food if you have no nitrates in your tap water.

StarGirl

I was thinking mini cycle also. From cleaning the rest of the tank. Im interested if there is Nitrates in the tap also.

nj278

I'll test my tap water for nitrates today and let you know.

I just did another test. Ammonia is 0.25ppm (I've never had a test read 0 in over two years so I'm assuming that is 0). Nitrites are 0ppm, and nitrates are 10-20ppm. I did do a little water change last night. It was only about 20 litres (so less than 10%), I just had it leftover in the bucket after doing my other tanks, but I'm sure any difference that it made would be negligible.

mattgirl

If there are no nitrates in your tap water I have to think there was enough viable bacteria in the filter to cycle this tank. The fact that you are seeing little to no ammonia, no nitrites and rising nitrates tells us that the tank is basically cycled.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Inner10
Replies
Views
Woodsman27
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies