Yet Another Cycling Question 10 Gallon Tank

1. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

hey there,

i'll be getting a betta for a lightly planted 10g tank in about a month or two depending on which cycle option i choose. i need help deciding if i should do a fishless or a fish-in cycle and what products i should use.

if i do a fishless cycle: i have pure ammonia that i'll dose. i'm not sure if i should use a bottled bacteria starter such as tss+, dr. tim's, stability, etc. due to controversy. i heard this method could take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 or 3 months to cycle and get some crazy readings, stalling, etc. i don't mind waiting, but i don't really want to rip my hair out trying to get the thing to cycle.

if i do a fish-in cycle: i'd prefer to do it with the betta and not some other messy fish like goldfish that i don't want to keep, also to minimize any diseases being introduced to the tank. this might be a stupid question, but if i'm supposed to keep up on partial water changes every other day or every couple of days (to avoid ammonia spikes, but one betta in a 10g would have a very low bioload), and use prime to dechlorinate, how will the bb ever grow, populate, and perform all the conversions? would there ever be enough ammonia being produced to cycle the tank, or will it remain uncycled? should i ideally use bottled bacteria with a fish-in cycle or just leave it out?

thanks! (also, it might be a good idea to make a nitrogen cycle subforum what with all the questions people ask about it. i thought i saw one earlier but i can't find it...)

2. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

There is a section for cycling :)

You could do a fish in cycling, but I prefer fish less. I just cycled my 10gallon fishless and it took around a week. I used used filter media and Dr. Tim’s pure ammonia.

3. Hego_Damask

Hego_Damask Valued Member Member

I always found a fish less cycle to be safer for the fish, so I choose to go that route

4. ChuthuluFish

ChuthuluFish Well Known Member Member

If you already have tank just put the old media in. I moved all my media and three platys from a 10 to a 20. With daily water changes and prime they did great

Edit: there will be a mini cycle

5. OP
    OP
    midna

midna Well Known Member Member

where iiiiis iiiit. i can't find it no matter how many times i look D: a mod will have to move this thread if they want since i can't do anything on my end now

unfortunately i don't have any cycled media :/ i'm starting from scratch. what, exactly, is the process for fishless if you're starting new? dose ammonia then leave it alone for 2 weeks instead of checking readings every day? i've read so many different methods lol, i can't wrap my head around it.

6. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

Just do fish-in and use Prime... and do water changes once a week or if the ammonia gets too high. works flawlessly everytime for me