Yet another 10 Gallon Build

mrjohn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My mother had a 10 gallon set up a year or two ago. The tank was for my niece who has autism and other disabilities. Unfortunately the tank failed and the inhabitants passed.

I was over her house last week and noticed the tank in the basement. I decided that it needed to be ressurected. My niece absolutely loves fish tanks.

I only reused the gravel and air pump for this. The other equipment and decor were a mess.

DIY filter
Black background from PetSmart with liquid glue.
6 silk plants
Versa Top Canopy
Nicrew lighting
Aqueon Pro 100w

The PH is fairly high. Between 8.2 and 8.6. I'm thinking of throwing some of my leftover Manzanita in to lower the PH. That is, if it will lower it.

The tank will be stocked after it has cycled with fry from my 20 gallon. This was not an intense build so only a few pictures, but my niece is already super excited about it!

IMG_20200627_154851.jpg

What I started with. Had cob webs and bugs in there from the basement.

IMG_20200627_182553.jpg

DIY filter

IMG_20200627_195616.jpg

The tank at this very moment. It oddly looks like a filter or something was placed on it. Haha
That's it for now!

Leeman75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
mrjohn said:
My mother had a 10 gallon set up a year or two ago. The tank was for my niece who has autism and other disabilities. Unfortunately the tank failed and the inhabitants passed.

I was over her house last week and noticed the tank in the basement. I decided that it needed to be ressurected. My niece absolutely loves fish tanks.

I only reused the gravel and air pump for this. The other equipment and decor were a mess.

DIY filter
Black background from PetSmart with liquid glue.
6 silk plants
Versa Top Canopy
Nicrew lighting

The PH is fairly high. Between 8.2 and 8.6. I'm thinking of throwing some of my leftover Manzanita in to lower the PH. That is, if it will lower it.

The tank will be stocked after it has cycled with fry from my 20 gallon. This was not an intense build so only a few pictures, but my niece is already super excited about it!

IMG_20200627_154851.jpg

What I started with. Had cob webs and bugs in there from the basement.

IMG_20200627_182553.jpg

DIY filter

IMG_20200627_195616.jpg

The tank at this very moment. It oddly looks like a filter or something was placed on it. Haha
That's it for now!
If my daughter saw this tank, I would never hear the end of it until I built her one. Love the color and pop! Nicely done!!

OP
mrjohn

mrjohn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Leeman75 said:
If my daughter saw this tank, I would never hear the end of it until I built her one. Love the color and pop! Nicely done!!
Thanks!

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
What an excellent thing to do, and it's beautiful. My 8 year old daughter would be in love!! What do you plan on stocking?

What did you do for the filter? Kinda like a sponge filter? With other media too? Please tell, I need a different filter... For reasons. :)

OP
mrjohn

mrjohn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mhamilton0911 said:
What an excellent thing to do, and it's beautiful. My 8 year old daughter would be in love!! What do you plan on stocking?
Stocking will be 4 guppy fry for now. Unfortunately they'll probably interbreed but I need to re-home them and this tank needs fish. I also have what I believe to be a mix of red and blue wag Platy fry. I'll add them to this tank as well.

As the fry become larger I'll try to re-home them for a better life. I also have Neo shrimp that are berried, so this tank may receive a few Neos if they survive. Also, I am going to put 2 Nerite snails and one or two Amano shrimp in. Need that cleanup crew!

Mhamilton0911 said:
What did you do for the filter? Kinda like a sponge filter? With other media too? Please tell, I need a different filter... For reasons. :)
So the filter is a small ball jar (I'll update the size tomorrow), Bio Max for the bottom layer, Polyfil for the second layer, and a sponge for the third layer. I purchased a pack of four ball jars at Walmart. You can also grab the Polyfil from there.

I have the same setup in my fiance's 10 gallon Betta tank. I will also use it for my winter scape tank. You can see the complete builds in my DIY Betta tank & filter thread.

I may be wrong, but I believe that this filter is closer to a canister type because of how the media is layered and how the water is filtered. The water gets sucked in at the top of the jar, filtered through cuts in the tube and media and then pushed out of the tube. For larger tanks this will also work but you'll need a larger ball jar. ;)

Edit: let's call this a hybrid!

RileyMocha

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The tank looks awesome! Can't wait to see it once its stocked!

OP
mrjohn

mrjohn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I picked the heater up today and began cutting the plastic on the Versa Top. I was lazy and didn't want to remove the plastic backing from the glass. I decent chunk of the glass broke. Need to pick up another Versa Top. I'll do it correctly next time.

I added a few small pieces of Manzanita to the tank as well. I also have a PH question but I'll start another thread for that. Few more pictures.
IMG_20200628_153224.jpg

IMG_20200628_153238.jpg

OP
mrjohn

mrjohn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welp, looks like it may take the whole 8 weeks to cycle. I didn't seed this filter so its to be expected!

Drasi

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could you preseed some filter from one of your tanks? Would be quick way to get her going and hopefully not get bored before fish come.

Such a beautiful tank for a little gal. Nice work.

OP
mrjohn

mrjohn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Drasi said:
Could you preseed some filter from one of your tanks? Would be quick way to get her going and hopefully not get bored before fish come.

Such a beautiful tank for a little gal. Nice work.
Thanks! I got a hold of a used canister filter last week. I took some media from it and added some to this filter on Wednesday. I checked the parameters yesterday and there are definitely more Nitrates but Ammonia and Nitrites are still sitting around 2ppm.

Going to check on it again on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll see some larger movement!

Jimjam82

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Drain, have you any pictures of your setup? :happy:

New Threads