Yes Sir, Bamboo Shrimps

AmazonPassion

I was waiting for my tank to be mature enough (not established) to sustain Bamboo Shrimps. I bought three of them today and acclimated them for a couple of hours. I was expecting them to go hide after releasing them but they found a perch (which was specifically designed for them and hoping they would use it) and started fanning. They are still there. The driftwood is place in the high flow area of the outflow pipe.

Remember, never just get one of them, but try to get more than one to help them eat by competing with each other to find the best spot in the tank (like sibling rivalry).

AshWolFF

I have one of them and his favorite perch is on top of the resin waterfall where the bubbles come out from the airstone. Maybe I should get him a companion or two? I spot feed him with a turkey baster, he loves crushed copepods and mushy algae/romane lettuce.

jerilovesfrogs

I just got my first one the other day too! mine is a bright orangey color. but I guess if what you say is true....I shoud get one or two more. they are really cool things!

AmazonPassion

I'v always wanted to have a Bamboo Shrimp for the longest time but every time my tank gets mature enough I usually upgrade to a bigger tank.

Bamboo Shrimps are pretty cool looking.

AshWolFF

Yeah I got mine a couple months ago when my aquarium reach its 8 month birthday! Tanks can have birthdays too! Everything was good and stable so I added a juvenile Bamboo shrimp. He started at 3 inches and now he's 5 inches, fully grown I believe.

Yeah I like Bamboo's they get pretty large for a shrimp and even them they are filter feeding its not as hard to feed them as people say.

AmazonPassion

I was waiting for the 12 month marker, but 10 months is good enough.

The great thing is that mine are place directly in the high flow area so the flakes just naturally hit them without me having to target feed them.

AshWolFF

Well that's nice. I wish my Bamboo shrimp would go near the filter output so I can put the food right next to the current and let it bring it to him. That's how I feed my Glass Catfish their food. Nope he prefers his airstone perch. Sits there for hours every day.

Beautifully planted tank by the way. If I didn't have a hungry rainbow shark I would have a much heavier planted aquarium.

AmazonPassion

AshWolFF said:
Well that's nice. I wish my Bamboo shrimp would go near the filter output so I can put the food right next to the current and let it bring it to him. That's how I feed my Glass Catfish their food. Nope he prefers his airstone perch. Sits there for hours every day.

Beautifully planted tank by the way. If I didn't have a hungry rainbow shark I would have a much heavier planted aquarium.
Thanks.

The true test is keeping mine alive. I've done an extensive research on them and know that they can be extremely temperamental. Wish me luck.

You should check out my other thread, it gives a full tank shot...just skip to the last video for the current look.

AshWolFF

AmazonPassion said:
Thanks.

The true test is keeping mine alive. I've done an extensive research on them and know that they can be extremely temperamental. Wish me luck.

You should check out my other thread, it gives a full tank shot...just skip to the last video for the current look.
It seems the research has paid off! It looks amazing! I think I'm going to steal that PVC pipe condo idea (if you don't mind) for my Rainbow Shark.

AmazonPassion

No problem at all. I copied the idea from Ebay but didn't want to pay for ceramic tubes when I can just use pvc pipes.

The Shrimp condos aren't for the Bamboo shrimps btw...they were originally for my RCS in the tank slowly dwindling in population thanks to the Angels. However, I have rescued them and put them in a 10 gallon tank.

AlanGreene

They get to 5 inches? How do they do in higher heat? May be a good companions for discus in about 8 Months if they can handle 28 degrees

AmazonPassion

They can live between the range of 23.89 to 27.78

AlanGreene

Is it safe to assume 28 is okay? If not I won't bother I don't want an uncomfortable creature in my tank

AmazonPassion

Personally, I wouldn't keep them in the high range to be honest. My tank is set for 25.56.

AlanGreene

Okay I won't, thanks

Top Bottom