Yes Another Question....about Lighting Important

1. kayla20johnson

kayla20johnson Member Member

We had to get new lights for our 55g high aquarium. Is there a certain light we need to use? My boyfriends dad brought home a 12 watt, 1152 lumens, Slim LED light. The uses say for office cubicles, wash rooms, kitchens. Is it okay to use this light for my tank? 2cada21d2fa92eff72bb286b4161d494.jpg bc940edd3a9b7f49985e3870bc640ef2.jpg

2. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

You can use any light you want.

Where its gets tricky is in tanks that are heavily planted with demanding plants.

3. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Member Member

I've read that you want 2-5 watts for every gallon so I'm not sure if that light would be sufficient. Do you have any plants?

Just curious, how do you plan on mounting that for the tank?

4. SSJ

SSJ Member Member

I used a 24watt 2100 lumen Philips light..looks pretty neat. Not sure how plants would take it..will need to review after a week or so

5. OP
    OP
    kayla20johnson

kayla20johnson Member Member

I have a moss ball and a java fern right now. And my concern is also mounting it. I may just break down and buy a whole new lighting unit

6. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Neither moss balls or java fern require any serious light for any serious amount of time. A regular old desk lamp on 4-6 hours a day is more than enough.

7. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

You should be able to use it for low light plants

8. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Member Member

That light should be fine for your plants.

I have no idea how you'd go about mounting something like that. Maybe try to find some DIY videos for mounting lights? You could probably find something you'd be able to modify for your light.