Yes Another Question....about Lighting

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We had to get new lights for our 55g high aquarium. Is there a certain light we need to use? My boyfriends dad brought home a 12 watt, 1152 lumens, Slim LED light. The uses say for office cubicles, wash rooms, kitchens. Is it okay to use this light for my tank?
2cada21d2fa92eff72bb286b4161d494.jpg
bc940edd3a9b7f49985e3870bc640ef2.jpg

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can use any light you want.

Where its gets tricky is in tanks that are heavily planted with demanding plants.

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've read that you want 2-5 watts for every gallon so I'm not sure if that light would be sufficient. Do you have any plants?

Just curious, how do you plan on mounting that for the tank?

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kayla20johnson said:
We had to get new lights for our 55g high aquarium. Is there a certain light we need to use? My boyfriends dad brought home a 12 watt, 1152 lumens, Slim LED light. The uses say for office cubicles, wash rooms, kitchens. Is it okay to use this light for my tank? View attachment 438694View attachment 438695
I used a 24watt 2100 lumen Philips light..looks pretty neat. Not sure how plants would take it..will need to review after a week or so

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kyleena696 said:
I've read that you want 2-5 watts for every gallon so I'm not sure if that light would be sufficient. Do you have any plants?

Just curious, how do you plan on mounting that for the tank?
I have a moss ball and a java fern right now. And my concern is also mounting it. I may just break down and buy a whole new lighting unit

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neither moss balls or java fern require any serious light for any serious amount of time. A regular old desk lamp on 4-6 hours a day is more than enough.

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kayla20johnson said:
I have a moss ball and a java fern right now. And my concern is also mounting it. I may just break down and buy a whole new lighting unit
That light should be fine for your plants.

I have no idea how you'd go about mounting something like that. Maybe try to find some DIY videos for mounting lights? You could probably find something you'd be able to modify for your light.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom