Yellowing anubias leaves

Zonotrichia

I noticed today that my anubias leaves are starting to yellow (the yellow extends from the leaf edge inward, see below).

image0 (1).jpeg

What deficiency does this look like, and might our recent switch from Flourish to Easy Green help it improve? Should we use both?

As background: This is a 7-month-old 29g planted tank. Nitrate levels are very low (0-5) due to being understocked (3 guppies at the moment). We have very soft water with a low KH (3 dKH) and GH (4 dGH), buffered with crushed coral in the filter. For lighting, we just use the LED hood from our Aqueon starter kit, which I think qualifies as "low light"—we keep it on for 8 hrs/day. We had been dosing with Flourish every week-ish (not religiously, I admit), but recently switched to Easy Green since I read that supplies more macro nutrients.

Thanks! New to all of this and want to keep my plant friends happy in a low-tech way.

UnknownUser

Check out the deficiency list for plants:

Deficiency List for Plants | 168302 | Aquarium Plants

I think Flourish doesn’t contain all the necessary nutrients, not an all-in-one fert. I’m willing to bet that a proper dose of easy green will, over time, heal the anubias. You don't need The flourish if you are using the all in one Easy Green fert. Plants take a while to show any changes, so give it a few months to put out some new healthy leaves with the easy green.

Upvote 0

faydout

According to my handy dandy chart that looks like iron, which makes sense. Anubias are big iron soakers. For iron you really need a seperate, specific iron fertilizer (like easy green iron). I can't remember the issue, but it's not really possible to put iron in the all in one ferts.

Upvote 0

SQW

I noticed today that my anubias leaves are starting to yellow (the yellow extends from the leaf edge inward, see below).

image0 (1).jpeg

What deficiency does this look like, and might our recent switch from Flourish to Easy Green help it improve? Should we use both?

As background: This is a 7-month-old 29g planted tank. Nitrate levels are very low (0-5) due to being understocked (3 guppies at the moment). We have very soft water with a low KH (3 dKH) and GH (4 dGH), buffered with crushed coral in the filter. For lighting, we just use the LED hood from our Aqueon starter kit, which I think qualifies as "low light"—we keep it on for 8 hrs/day. We had been dosing with Flourish every week-ish (not religiously, I admit), but recently switched to Easy Green since I read that supplies more macro nutrients.

Thanks! New to all of this and want to keep my plant friends happy in a low-tech way.

Flourish has all the micro nutrients for your plants, but little to no macro nutrients.

Upvote 0

Zonotrichia

According to my handy dandy chart that looks like iron, which makes sense. Anubias are big iron soakers. For iron you really need a seperate, specific iron fertilizer (like easy green iron). I can't remember the issue, but it's not really possible to put iron in the all in one ferts.

Thanks, that is a great chart to keep on hand! Looking at the plants again, I think my picture was overexposed. They are not pale or yellow all over, but the yellow does seem to be concentrated toward the tips like with a nitrogen deficiency. (Which would also make sense, I think.) My anubias nana petite also has some translucent tips, which also seems to point in the direction of a nitrogen deficiency.

Upvote 0

UnknownUser

My first guess was nitrogen too, especially since you Were using flourish.
Thanks, that is a great chart to keep on hand! Looking at the plants again, I think my picture was overexposed. They are not pale or yellow all over, but the yellow does seem to be concentrated toward the tips like with a nitrogen deficiency. (Which would also make sense, I think.) My anubias nana petite also has some translucent tips, which also seems to point in the direction of a nitrogen deficiency.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Agree with everyone else, probably nitrogen. Ditch the flourish it sucks lol.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views
schmath
Replies
Views
jl_1005
Replies