Yellow water...What to do?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by GoXxXis, Aug 4, 2014.

1. G

GoXxXis New Member Member

I have a problem with YELLOW water...Aquarium started 2 weeks ago.Water changed 2 times - no result.Aquarium size 125L, filtration Bioflow 3.0.Maybe try out clarifier?Do you have any advice?Thanks:)

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Do you have wood in the tank as that can leach tannins, also what substrate do you have? some planting substrates can colour the water for a while

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

4. garikapc

garikapc Valued Member Member

In such a new tank I would suspect leaching from a decoration or substrate. Unless your water is the issue. Notice any staining with clothes or bath tubs, etc?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

The coloring is very normal in a new tank if there is any type of wood or dirt-like substrate. If that's the case, it is not harmful to your fish. Activated carbon (uaully placed in a mesh bag in your filter) absorbs it. New tanks with lots of wood or dirt substrate need to refresh the carbon a lot.

I just started this tank a couple days ago, with wood and dirt, and I've had the same "issue". Won't last forever though. :)

[​IMG]

6. Linda4088

Linda4088 Valued Member Member

You just described my tank. I noticed it getting yellow too. So I should get some carbon? But I thought carbon wasn't necessary. [​IMG]

7. v

valau Valued Member Member

I have had this "problem" since I use both peat moss and driftwood in my tank. I usually just let my tank stay yellow most of the time since the tannins are supposed to help lower the pH a little. If it gets really yellow and starts blocking enough light that I think it might affect my plants, or if I just want it to look pretty, I run some carbon for 24 hours and it clears it right up.

8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

https://www.fishlore.com/CloudyWater.htm

Check out the information in the link above.

Star.gif I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Aquarium Water section of the forum. You can locate your threads by clicking on Quick Links in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on My Threads.

Thanks!

Ken

9. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

It's not necessary, just an aesthetic appeal. There are some awesome yellow water tanks out there that look like a piece of a natural riverbed. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice