Yellow water issue

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by pezboy30, Dec 7, 2012.

1. pezboy30New MemberMember

I have tried many things to resolve my water issue with no luck. I have 2 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank with a filter, new air pump, stone, tubing, no driftwood and one new plant. My ammonia test came back normal, as did ph, nitrite, but the nitrates might be high from what I've read, 20 ppm. I have been doing partial water changes for the last 3 days or so. Any info or advice would be appreciated!

2. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

How old/big are your goldfish? I am guessing that because goldfish have a huge bioload, its whats causing your nitrates to be high - and 20 really isn't that high considering you have them in a 10 gallon.
    Other than getting a bigger tank, there isn't much more you can do besides make sure you are doing your water changes.
    Gold fish get pretty big so that may be something to think about for the future as far as getting something bigger for them. :)

3. OP
    OP
    p

pezboy30New MemberMember

My fish are tiny. They are at most 2 inches long. I started small and cheap until I got the hang of it. We got one fish back in August and set it up in the current tank in early September. Added the second fish in mid October.

4. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I'm going to start with this picture:

This is Feebas. She is a two year old, 9 inch, common goldfish won from the fair. Would you put even just one of these in a 10 gallon tank?

For two common or comet goldfish, you'll want at least a 55 gallon tank, though something wider would be better. They get large, quickly, make a ton of poop, and are very active. Water changes every 3 days is good in that small of a tank. You'll want to upgrade them to a 20 long as soon as possible, but i would either go as large as you can indoors, or get a pond out doors. My guys live in a 150 gallon pond year round.

Once you get your goldfish upgraded into a proper sized tank, you'll really start to see their personalities come out! I hand feed my guys. I sometimes think I might lose my hand when all 7 of them come up, i kind of tweak out XD

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  5. azazelsfyre

azazelsfyreWell Known MemberMember

Haha, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who picks up my fish XD I prefer it to netting them if they're calm enough. My bf's family has a large outdoor pond that used to house beautiful goldfish, but also, that is a pond, just to give you the idea of how large fair goldfish can get. My rule is, whenever you can, get a bigger tank! Even "little" fish will flourish and be happy with more space. However, this sorta almost got me in trouble with my college (they were surprised when the encountered my 15g, and not too understanding when I explained that in no way is that a "large aquarium" ;) ) Also, feebas rocks!

6. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

Are you sure your water is yellow? If you have one of those standard 10 gallon aquarium kits with incandescent hoods, they give a yellowish light off that makes the water always look dirty. Upgrade yourself to some nice screw-in compact florescent "daylight" bulbs with 6500K or higher rating and you'll get a nice white light.

But yeah.. 10 gallon way too small :(

7. Akari_32

Also have a Seeking and Milotic, and had a Magikarp and Goldeen. Magikarp would have been 3 years, and Goldeen the same age and Seeking and Feebas. Coins got Magikarp, and Goldeen didn't make last long after being let out from her death-bag she came in from the fair (i went day 9 of the fair).

Colleges usually allow tanks up to 10 gallons, but some have a 30 gallon limit lol

This is true. I hate incandescent light bulbs. CFLs are the way to go if you don't have a T8 fitting.

8. OP
    OP
    p

pezboy30New MemberMember

Thanks for the replies everyone. I definitely want to move up to a larger tank at some point. I just wanted to start small and see if I could handle it. It's so much more that dropping them in a glass bowl. People have no idea. As far as the lights, I notice yellowish water when I do my water changes, so in pretty sure it's not the lights. Are backgrounds a good idea also? I put one on thinking it might stunt algae growth by not letting light through. So I read anyway.

9. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

You know the yellowish tint may be due to algae forming. Is your tank near a window? I know on my 5 gallon qt, its near a window and gets sun partially during the day. In just a matter of a week, I see brownish spots appearing - kinda hazy looking from the algae growth.....
    If you want to keep the algae at bay, just keep your tank away from direct sunlight and keep the lights set to a specified time ( 8 to 10 hours ) on a timer.... The Background will help too! :)

10. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Can you post a picture of your tank?

Welcome to Fishlore!

11. OP
    OP
    p

pezboy30New MemberMember

I can tomorrow. I'm at work all night.

I appreciate everyone being so kind. I really want these fish to thrive since I've become so attached to them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  12. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

13. OP
    OP
    p

pezboy30New MemberMember

A few questions. Is this activated carbon a supplement to the carbon in the filters I am using? If so, do I put it in the filter too? How much light do they need per day?

fish tank.JPG

Here is my tank, fish, and yellowish water. You can barely see my airstone in the background.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  14. Akari_32

Is it the water itself, and not algea on the glass, right? Do you have well water, or water that is pulled from a very low river or other water source?

As far as I know, carbon is carbon.

15. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Is that window I see behind the tank or in front of it.
    Actually the water looks like green water forming. Green water is free floating algae.
    Scroll down and look at the green water.

carol

16. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

I agree, that looks like an Algae Bloom.

This can happen with too much light and excess nutrients in the water. Direct sunlight like Carol said is a trigger.

Activated Carbon goes in the filter. You can put it on top for easy change out in 3-4 weeks or in the middle. Carbon will not fix Green Water.

A non-planted tank needs 4-6 hours of light. My non-planted tank lights are off when I am not home. I turn them on when I get home from work to feed and see them, on only 3-4 hours a day.

Is your light standard fluorescents or incandescent?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  17. OP
    OP
    p

pezboy30New MemberMember

I have regular 15 watt bulbs that came with my aquarium hood. Should I look into cfls?

18. Akari_32

CFLs bulbs are a lot more energy efficient and last much longer, too. In the long run they are cheaper than incandescents. Also, they are better for live plants, should you ever want to switch to those. I also think they produce a much nicer light.

19. OP
    OP
    p

pezboy30New MemberMember

Just a quick update on my tank. I kept the lights off for an entire week and then did a 75% water change. The water looks so much better. I have since upgraded to an led hood and my fish and 2 new plants are doing great. Thanks everyone for the advice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice