Yellow Tangs being sanctioned?

schlitz

My LFS told me this weekend that Yellow Tangs are about to be sanctioned. He said that means they will be rare to purchase and the price may skyrocket. Has anyone else heard this?

Ethan

I don't know but stocking up on tangs sounds like a swell idea for some quick cash

Malcolm

Searched the CITES database and no such sanctions are in place with the yellow hawiian tang (Zebrasoma flavescens) however from my days as an LFS there were certain times of the year when collection was forbidden so as breeding could take place, Tangs spawn in shoals of many many thousands and can easily be disturbed.
There may be a slight shortage at the moment and that would drive the price higher, now if he bought at a low price and prices are escalating it would make sense to try and move them on while the price is high (not that I ever did anything like that of course)

marine590622

At our local club the speaker in November was Matt Pederson out of Minneapolis, he mentioned something on the horizon about some folks who were or are agitating to have some of the salt water fish restricted.

schlitz

Buy low, sell high. Maybe I have a future as a saltwater fish day trader.

Quinn_Lamb98

of course right when I decide to get into saltwater lol.

soltarianknight

OR we could slow the purchace of the fish in question. You know, so the DON"T have to sanction it? I mean, you do realize that they are being sanctioned because they are being harder to find in the wild right? So buying as many as you can now would cause a market and demand Spike that would only increase the chances of a sanction.

Ethan

mo money mo problems

soltarianknight

Actually, please clarify for me. They are being sanctioned. Meaning they are being protected from collection in the wild right?(or I am reading it wrong, very possible). The only reason I can think for them to be sanctioned is if A.They were endangered or B. They played to much of an important part in their ecosystem to be removed further.

Do I have that right?

Because that would be like the U.S. Putting a Ban on hunting deer in 10days and every hunter going out with their guns to get as many as possible before the Ban goes into effect....

Mike

The last year or so they have been talking about a ban on aquarium livestock collection in HawaiI although from my understanding it is one of the better managed fisheries in the world - and here

The anti-collection issue is being championed by a dude named Snorkel Bob. He has a snorkeling business and says that the fish are disappearing. They were protesting petco for selling saltwater fish awhile back -

Coral Magazine is awesome btw.

ryanr

Mike said:
ban on aquarium livestock collection in HawaiI although from my understanding it is one of the better managed fisheries in the world
Along with the GBR

Mike said:
The anti-collection issue is being championed by a dude named Snorkel Bob. He has a snorkeling business and says that the fish are disappearing.
Sounds kinda like what Madison Stewart is trying to do for the sharks of the GBR.

I'm not opposed to the concept of restricted trade to wild-caught marine life. Mike recommended me a book some time ago, and it really made me rethink the way I treat my Reef tank.

Link to Mike's book review: https://www.fishlore.com/coral-reefs-microbial-seas.htm

JessiNoel21

That is why 80% of my stock is tank raised. My Coral Beaty,coral banned shrimp, and one of my zoas where from the wild.

monkeypie102

Though my lfs has bad care tactics everything in his tanks are tank raised... even the anenomes they have so if they were to ban wild caught yellow tangs I am kinda all for it... I personally think the wild caught should stay in the wild...

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom