Yellow tang!

Money1834

I had a yellow tang for a few days and she was doing perfectly fine! eating right swimming around looked great, then a few nights after I got it I noticed she wasent swimming really and leaving against the rock breathing hard then next thing I know she wasent breathing at all =/ I lost the fish but have no iddea why! it was about 2inches long and when it passed I noticed small little brown spots? can anyone give me an idea of what ultimately happend?

Stang Man

Can you give more descriptions of the tank and all that you have with it? Also water parameters.

Money1834

I have a 30gal biocube with liverock a couple feather dusters a CBS and damsel I know my levals are good and nitrates are 0

Stang Man

Need more info please.

Money1834

what elts do u need to know?

Mike

HI Money - some questions:

- is this a new tank? If so, there are not many species that will make it through a cycle without frequent water changes.
- ammonia and nitrites are 0?
- what is the SG and pH?
- was it eating anything?
- how did you acclimate the tang?

A 30 gallon is too small for a tang. Tangs need highly oxygenated water (think protein skimmer and high water flow/movement) and lots of swimming room.

Money1834

it is a new tank actually, it was running for about a week and a half before I got the tang, and it was eating seaweed and brineshrimp then all of a sudden stopped and ended up passing =/ also what is the best way to acclimate a fish? I'm kinda new to salt water so I can use some advice. and iin the tank I got a powerhead and a fan so there is a lot of water movement

Mike

In my post above the word acclimate is underlined and if you click that it will take you to the page with acclimation techniques. The forum does that automagically for articles - lot of the frequently asked questions, acronyms are underlined automatically and linked in posts.

The tang could have been diseased/weakened at the store and then placed in a new tank going thru the cycle did him in. Running without a protein skimmer will be an uphill battle too. The skimmer will help keep the water nearly saturated with oxygen and will help keep the water clean. In a 30 gallon look for species that stay on the small side as adults (couple inches or so) - nano saltwater fish ideas (reminded me that I need to add to the list on that page). Lots of articles here: Saltwater Beginners will answer most all beginner questions.

EDIT: check out the slI'm skI'm protein skimmer - I'm running one on a 28 gallon nano.

Money1834

Okay thanks for the help! much appreciated I'm gonna go look threw some of the forums and see if I can get ontop of my marine game

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
AggressiveAquatics
  • Question