Yellow Tang for my tank

1. nap83 Initiate Member

HI GUYS, I WAS THINKING OF JUST GETTING A YELLOW TANG IN A 10 GALLONG TANK. DO YA GUYS THINK IT'S POSSIBLE?

THANKS!

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Re: >>YELLOW TANG<<

Saltwater? Freshwater? forgive my ignorance, I'm not sure what kind of fish your talking about.
    If your talking about saltwater Yellow Tang the reccomendation I found was for 50Gallons of water.
    hope that helps.
    Carol

3. nap83 Initiate Member

thanks, i decided to go with a freshwater puffer. i'm setting up a 30 gallon soon for saltwater so i can have 2 clownfishes & a yellow tang!

4. cocoboy821 Initiate Member

i've been thinkin also about gettin a yellow tang for a saltwater tank that will be 75 gallons or more. i was also wondering what kind of fish ya'll would suggest to be tank mates with it. i would love to have a couple of clownfish, and i have a friend that suggested i try to find out what kind of fish dory is from nemo and try to get one ::). i was also wondering about about blennies, gobies, and cardinalfish if anyone knows anything about them.
    ;D thank ya'll

5. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Hi,

I have a yellow tang. They get way too big for a 10 gallon tank and they need swimming room, so a 55 gallon minimum is recommended.  They are especially susceptible to saltwater ich, so you'll definitely have to quarantine for a few weeks before introducing in to the main tank.  They also need highly oxygenated water, either thru airstones or high surface agitation with power heads.

More info:
    https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-YellowTang.htm

If I recall the movie correctly, I think that Dory from the Nemo movie is a hippo tang... Not sure though

Yellow Tangs are one of my favorite saltwater fish - they are really beautiful and fun to keep.

Mike

6. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Get dwarf puffers!! They rock :) Pretty easy to keep as well ;)