Yellow tail damsel breeding.

1. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

Hey all, I got 6 yellow tail damsles the other day, and aparently they're quite easy to breed, but the fry are almost impossible to keep alive? Is this so, has anyone got any articles/experience in this?

And an offtopic... My mandarin fish died :'(

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hmm, I think it will be a rough ride getting a pair to start with. As far as I know yellow tails are somee of the most aggresive damsels and getting a pair from your 6 will likely be rough, I don't know of any online articles but will check my books at some point. I'm just warning you that you should be prepared for some fatalities as it may well happen.

3. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

One fatality already... Or at least what I can see... One of them has mysteriously dissapeared... now I only have five...

4. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,

Where did you get that information from? Are you saying that your dmasels are breeding but that you are having a hard time keeping the fry alive? Or are you asking id they are, so as to breed them yourself?

From my knowledge of marine fish, I think that the only ones that have succefully breeded in the home aquarium are the Clownfish and Banggai Cardianl. I have not heard of any other fish breeding in the home aquarium. Most do not because they can't cope well enough to beeing captive like that. Most also require big spaces to do their mating ritual thinggy.

5. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

The yellow tail damsels are not among the most aggressive damsels, but they are aggressive. Having 6 in a small tank will definately result in casualties. Also, even in larger tanks they might pick at each other to the point that they might kill each other. I suspect you might end up with 2-3 of them, depends on the size of the tank though.

6. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

my tank is 5ft long, still have five...
    as to above, i was asking you all, not telling, as this is what the lfs said to me!
    Also, seahorses can breed in home aquariums, along with other marines, not just clowns and cardinals (which i have both - to no breeding luck)

7. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,

I was just wondering as to wheter you were asking or if your fish were breeding.

True, seahorses and shrimp are among other creatures that do breed in the home aquarium. I was being more specific as to "fish" only. Your tank should be more then adequate to house that many damsels, I guess one of them is just more aggressive then the reast.

As far as breeding damsels is concerned, I have never heard of anyone being sucessful. Not sure if they mated or not either, so I will assume that it is still very compliacted. Most fish required lots of room for their mating ritual, like 10 feet by 20 feet by 20 feet. That's part of why bigger fish do not breed, they paired up but not enough room to mate.

It would be awesome if you could get the damsels to breed, but it might not be very cost effective, as they are very inexpensive. Sounds cruel, but it is true. Thus you are left will just the pleasure of being the first to breed damels. It would be better for marine life to have fish that can breed in the home aquarium.

Well good luck and hope they do breed, as it would be really cool.

8. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

Sorry for the confusion, I was asking about if they WOULD breed, not that they WERE breeding, but the LFS guy gave the impression that its relativley easy to do.. guess he was wrong :)

9. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Well not sure about the area were you are at, but at the local store I go to they have both the clownfish and cardinal as tank raised (breed in home aquarium), but they cost alot more then caught. Yuo could ask that guy and see if he sells the tank raised damsels. I yet to see any, even online.

Actually I kind remeber reading something about a guy in England that has a huge tank. If I remember correctly some of his Tangs had actually breed in his tank, but not 100% sure on that one. I could be wrong, but like I said it would be awesome. It would help with the interference of reefs.

10. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I'm not sure if the damsles were tank raised, but i know for sure they have breeding cardinals and clowns out the back (seeing as I work there! :p) which are often popping out babies!

I think i've heard of that guy too - is his tank a big L shape?? I believe he's invented quite a few hybrid tangs... which reminds me that there is a powder blue hybrid in stock atm... i wonder in what way its different? It looks exactly the same..

11. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Not sure if it's the same person as I have not looked at his tank in a while. I will look it up again and see if I find it.

Not heard of Tang hybrids, only of the Mimic Tangs. Like my Chocholate Mimic Tang or the one I will be getting soon, the Eibli Mimic Tang. It would be awesome to see a hybrid Tang though. Are you able to take a picture of it and post it here? I would love to see how they look, maybe we could spot some differences from the regular PBT.

12. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

Yeah! I'll try and snap a picture when i'm next working (weds.) if its not sold by then. ;)

13. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Well hope so, as their is a good change it will be sold as the PBT don't last long in the stores.

14. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    Did you ever downsized your tank into two smaller tanks?

15. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

No I didn't - I still maybe have plans to, its money that is stopping me, but now I have a job, I should be able to do more things... But my room will quickly fill up! haha!

16. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,

Were you able to get that picture of the PB Tang?

17. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

No! Sorry, It was sold before I could snap a picture! sorry!