yellow mickey mouse platy wont stop chasing my red platy

Discussion in 'Platy' started by ILikeFishies, Dec 3, 2012.

1. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies Valued Member Member

hello everyone, i have 2 female platies in my community tank. one is a red platy and the other is a yellow mickey mouse platy (not sure whats the actual name) So lately i noticed that my mickey mouse platy would chase the red platy every chance she can get. The moment the mickey mouse platy comes into her view, she'd chase her for awhile then stop..then chase her again then stop. She doesn't chase any other tank mates though :eek: so i just wanted to know what is up with my platy O_O. Starting to feel a slight worry for my red platy. she might be getting hurt or something.

2. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

first question:
    Are you sure the MM is a female?
    If defiantly a female. It can happen I have a brat of a female but she's a good poser (in my avatar). I have had no end of trouble with her and my fiancé wanted to "accidentally" return her to the lfs when we take our excess fry there. The things that have worked with varying success is to add more platys so her attention is divided or to separate her for a while (I used a breeding net) move things around in the tank and set her free it made her less of a boss while she investigated but the behaviour is still there.
    Keep an eye on the red one especially note if she is hiding, not eating, having clamped fins or being lethargic as this is a sign the MM is being too much of a bully in which case you can try the methods I have or rehome her. Fish have different attitudes and you like me could just have one with the mentality of a 3 year old not getting its own way!

3. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies Valued Member Member

wow. Well yes im very sure my MM is a female, she does look kind of pregnant ( its a little bulgy and theres a gravid spot) BUT it doesnt really look pregnant because i've had many experiences of platies giving birth and this one doesnt seem like its gonna :O! The red platy is doing fine, she's pretty active herself too.

There are actually other platies in there though they are not full adults, they're just fry about an inch big maybe but she doesn't bother with them.

Thats a very beautiful platy :) I have a red and yellow looking tuxedo a month ago, but the yellow one jumped out of its tank D:...and the red one suddenly died mysteriously o_O...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice