Yellow leaves, new plant, tank just cycled

Katie Dawn

Hello plant experts!

PXL_20201107_155556750.jpg

PXL_20201107_155524984.jpg

I purchased my very first ever aquarium plants 3 weeks ago (1 java fern, 1 anubias gold coin, 1 anubias golden) and put them in while the tank was still cycling. I had some issues with dropping pH, and my nitrates got up between 80-160 a few times as the cycle was completing. I have a 10 gallon so have been putting in 1 squirt of Aquarium Co-op Easy Green once a week. This is the light, it's an LED strip:

The light looked SUPER bright so long before I got the plants I put electrical tape around some of the light to darken it a bit.

The gold coin has developed this yellow area. The Java fern and anubias golden appear to look fine. (Though the golden has more of a yellowish color anyway so I imagine I wouldn't see the change right away.) The Java fern has been in a darker part of the tank and both anubias have been in a brighter section. After I saw the yellowing a few days ago I moved it to a darker area since I wasn't sure if Too Much light could hurt it. (I know it's a low light plant.)

They are each attached to their own rock and the rhizome is away from the gravel.

From all my research on possible cause it seems like nitrogen deficiency is likely it but I don't see how considering the tank was flooded with nitrates from cycling and I noticed the yellowing during that time. Could something about the cycle (or possibly the pH dropping) have caused this and it should work itself out now?

Should I dose 2 squirts of Easy Green a week?

Any other ideas?
Here's a different leaf on the same plant that appears to be yellowing at the edge.

PXL_20201107_161353821.jpg

And in case it's helpful, here are the other 2 plants.

PXL_20201107_235421593.MP.jpg
The Java fern doesn't look yellow on the ends - it's just the light coming through. The golden may have a couple of leaves that are looking slightly more yellow. Hard to tell with that one!
Thanks for any help!

ProudPapa

Hello,

It's common for plants to "melt" to a greater or lesser degree when being introduced to a new tank. Since the plants look good otherwise I'd just trim off the yellow leaf and keep doing what you've been doing.

Upvote 0

Katie Dawn

Hello,

It's common for plants to "melt" to a greater or lesser degree when being introduced to a new tank. Since the plants look good otherwise I'd just trim off the yellow leaf and keep doing what you've been doing.

Perfect! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
gabray47
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
gabray47