Yellow Lab

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by JoeEse7en, Jul 30, 2017.

1. JoeEse7en

JoeEse7enValued MemberMember

HI guys.

So two days ago I posted a pic about this little guy. His tail find seems to have been shredded or was caught in something nobody seemed to help me with it and I guess it got lost in the shuffle. So here i am asking again. He was moving around fine and eating, even tonight when they ate he ate. But now he's doing this. He lifts up and rearranges but then sits right back down. What am I looking at guys? Anyone know??
    20170730_201256-1.jpg

2. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

Your looking at a deformed fish that could live a long and happy life if you choose.

3. Wendy Adams

Wendy AdamsValued MemberMember

How old is this yellow lab. I'm not sure if it is the picture itself or if something else is amiss but he looks like he's pinkish under the belly area? Am I seeing this correctly? If so, hopefully someone will jump in and give you an idea what's going on. Unfortunately I am not really sure myself. I've heard something about something called "Malawi Bloat" and I'm wondering if that might be the case here. I do see what you mean about his tail. Could that be fin rot?

What other fish do you have in your tank? Is this one the only one with any of these visible signs?
    What are your water parameters (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, etc).
    Can you get a picture showing what you mean by him " sitting down?"

Again, I'm not sure what I can do to help, but the more detail you can give, I'm sure others will be able to provide more help to you.

4. OP
    OP
    JoeEse7en

See the thing is he wasn't this way when I got him 3 weeks ago and actually wasn't like that middle of last week. Idk if someone picked on him or got caught somewhere.

5. OP
    OP
    JoeEse7en

Sorry only just got them 3 weeks ago and he is maybe 1.25" long at the moment. Maybe. He doesn't look bloated his belly is still a little sunken from the possiblity of worms they came with. But I prazapro the tank last week.

I have 30 fish total and 4 of them are yellow labs. All the same size. Of all 30 fish he is the only one like this. Unfortunately I haven't checked it since I did my water change on Friday night but when this happened (or should i say when i notcied this on wednesday) everything was where it was supposed to be ammonia and nitrite 0 nitrates were around 30. I prazapro'd the tank last week and this week I'm using the metronidazole flakes since tuesday. All my fish are 2 to 3 weeks in the tank and the labs looked bad. But 3 of them are now healthy except this guy. Like I said he was swimming around and eating but not sure about that tail and now this crashing.

6. fissh

I think it's a rare decease called beatupittis.

7. OP
    OP
    JoeEse7en

:( awe...don't tell me that. Is there a cure???

You got me on that one!!! I was even trying to look it up!:bored:

Here's what gets me tho Harry. Not one other fish has any torn missing pieces or damaged fins. I could believe he was attacked if some of the others had somewhat similar damage. No?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2017
  8. fissh

It could be a fin rot, but I think it's just the slowest fish in the tank :D You should put it in a QT tank, you know the flushing type!!

9. myerlemons

myerlemonsValued MemberMember

That's really insensitive. OP was worried about their fish. That's messed up.

10. fissh

You know your right, I've had several conversations with Joe and was just messing with him (really insensitive on my part) :(
    The fish doesn't appear to have bloat (internal hexamita) but it does have sighs of damage on the tail. This can be caused by a bacterial infection or fin nipping. the bacterial infection could spread threw the whole tank! So my course of action would be to put the affected fish in a QT tank (not the flushing type!!) add a teaspoon of rock salt per gallon, and dose with Nitrofurazone according to instructions. If you see it starting on the other fish, start treating the whole tank!
    regards, Harry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice