Yellow Lab?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by RandomGuy, Jul 20, 2017.

1. RandomGuyNew MemberMember

Hey guys, quick question. I do not have a picture on me, but can post one tonight after work if needed. I purchased a fish from my lfs a couple weeks back labeled as a yellow lab. However, it has no black stripe on it's fin like most pure labs do. I was looking at pictures of hybrids, but most of them are solid yellow. Mine has black vertical bars on it's body. Would this likely be a hybrid, or can yellow lab lack the black fin Stipe?

2. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

Sounds similar to a Kenyi.

3. OP
    OP
    R

RandomGuyNew MemberMember

That seems to be black horizontal bars, unless I'm mixing the 2 up. Mine has black bars going from it's belly, upward to it's back.

4. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

Kinda hard to say without pictures. Does it look like a bumblebee cichlid maybe?

5. OP
    OP
    R

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2018
  6. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

Yellow Acei?

7. OP
    OP
    R

Impossible to tell from google if it's a yellow acie, because it seems people get those mixed up with yellow labs in their pictures. You may be on to something with that kenyi idea. I looked at pictures and it seems to be similar. Though the bars on most of those seem to be less uniform than the ones on my fish, I'll look at more pictures here shortly. I appreciate the feedback so far, quite informative considering how confusing this all can be to somebody new to the African cichlid game. I don't know how great of a picture I can get, but I'll get you guys something tonight for sure.

8. OP
    OP
    R

Here's a picture. After looking more closely, I'm pretty certain this is a male kenyi. Would I be correct in this assumption?

[​IMG]

Sorry guys my image just isn't showing up. It shows fine when I hit edit, but once I post it doesn't work. Let's try a link.

The link seems to work. Let me know ow what you guys think, thanks.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  9. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I think it's a hybrid.

10. OP
    OP
    R

What makes you think it's a hybrid?

ZqVMV6D.jpg

11. Anders247

The closest I can think of is a male kenyi, but I don't think that fully fits either, that's why.....

12. OP
    OP
    R

I understood that part, but what parts of the first don't fully fit so that I can look closer as well? Is it the fins, body shape, color, mouth? Need to know what I need to look closer at.

13. Anders247

I'd say the color.

14. OP
    OP
    R

I should have added that his color changes some, I had just turned the lights on in that picture, and he looked pretty pale for his pictures. His color also seems to change some when my red zebra is around, as he is the alpha fish of the tank. Sometimes he seems more yellow and stripes look darker, sometimes he seems to get a little pale.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice