Yellow lab male or female

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by delta5, Jul 30, 2015.

1. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

This is a x60 shot from my iphone so please beat with me. Male or female? To me I think it's female that has spawned or was about to.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438293192.389638.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

Is that a fish...or...?

3. OP
    OP
    delta5

Its a photo of a fish's 'junk.'

4. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

Well..OK! It's kind of blurry. If the vent holes are the same size..its a male. If they are different in size..its usually a female. Also..the male USUALLY has his anal and/or pelvic fin has a deeper black in it as well as a deeper black dorsal fin. As a matter of fact...I learned that today! The LFS just got some beautiful specimens in..and I have 4 males reserved!

5. OP
    OP
    delta5

Don't go off their color or where black is or isn't. I have 2-3 females that have more of the black than my alpha male. Venting is the only way besides when they carry eggs in their mouth. BTW, why are you getting 4 males?

6. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Yes venting is the only way, look like male but a better pic is needed.

7. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I've always found the 'egg spot' pattern on the anal fin to be much less pronounced or absent on most of my female mbuna. Venting, as LeoDiaz and delta5 say, is the Gold Standard (most accurate) way of sexing them, however. rick

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  8. OP
    OP
    delta5

Here r photos of the lab in question

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438369512.703660.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438369534.517886.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438369548.420794.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438369583.614037.jpg

If these aren't good enough I'll try again later with my wife's iphone 6

Here is a photo of a female. She spit fry before in my fry tank so I know she is a female. Looking at the photo there is no mistaken her sex but I am noob so what do you think?
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438370331.819411.jpg

This one a male?
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438371345.561666.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438371357.813534.jpg

This one male to? :(

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438377285.865442.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
  9. LeoDiaz

10. OP
    OP
    delta5

Sadly, post #10 fish, is dead... :( I used to much medicine to knock it out. All the others are fine.

11. LeoDiaz

Wait u did wat?

12. OP
    OP
    delta5

I used pimafix to sedate them so I could get a photo. Without pimafix I couldn't get my iPhone to focus.

13. LeoDiaz

Ohh i dont sedate fish at all, instead you should have hold the fish and told your wife, brother, dog, etc to take a pic. If you hold the fish correctly he shouldnt stuggle to get a pic. To bad one had to die to find out it sex, sorry for your loss.

14. OP
    OP
    delta5

My wife wants nothing to do with fish lol. She freaked out when I said I might need to use her i6 for the photos. I rehomed the other males. Hope their new home keeps them happy. Only room for one alpha male in my 40g breeder.

15. LeoDiaz

Lol, all she has to do is take pics is not like ur making here grab it.

16. OP
    OP
    delta5

Yeah, well.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice