Yellow Lab Cichlids Resting On Bottom

Discussion in 'Electric Yellow Cichlid' started by inveterateaquarist, Apr 11, 2018.

1. inveterateaquarist

inveterateaquaristValued MemberMember

Hello there,

I have a new 55 gallon tank that was fishless cycling for a month.

Water parameters:

PH: 8.2
    Ammonia: 0.25;
    Nitrite: 0;
    Nitrates: close to 5.0ppm but a bit yellow color.

It’s a second day.
    I have a convict that when I’m getting closer to the tank they are start hiding, and even for some period of time resting at the button. That why I’ve noticed on this morning.

Is this a signs of stress on the outside?

They are not laying on their sides or gasping for air or anything like that.

Or it’s normal for the first days?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. GlamCrab

GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

Since its only their second day home i would say its normal, they are still abit stressed.

I would give them more time before worrying.

3. OP
    OP
    inveterateaquarist

Hope so. Because at the store they were preaty active.

Thanks for reply

4. GlamCrab

GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

No problem!

5. OP
    OP
    inveterateaquarist

Hi there,

Yesterday,

I bought a 3 Yellow Lab Cichlid 2 female and 1 male.
    • So, the first day (yesterday) they were fine at least at the beginning when I've welcomed them to my tank. There were exploring, and swims but close to midnight they started to stick to the button and don't swim at all.
    • I feed them but don't really see if they are eating or not, because as soon as I'm getting close to the tank they start hiding. So I'm trying to don't stress them and stay away from the tank.
    • Today, they all time seating and the button and don't swim at all. Sometimes I even notice that some of the Cichlids while seating at the button seems like falling on the side a bit but if you trying to disrupt them they are running out and hiding again.

Water parameters:

PH: 8.2
    Ammonia: 0.25;
    Nitrite: 0;
    Nitrates: close to 5.0ppm but a bit yellow color.

The tank is month fishless cycled prior.

1. Does anyone know if's normal conditions for Cichlid fish during the first couple of days in a new tank?
    2. Or what is that could be?

I've provided pics below

thanks

Attached Files:

6. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Something in the water must be effecting them. There is some ammonia when there should be zero in a cycled tank, but .25 isn't enough to kill them so fast. They should never lay on their side like that. I'd do a large 75% water change ASAP, use water conditioner.

7. OP
    OP
    inveterateaquarist

The ammonia from mine tap water is: 0.25 - 1.0 ppm

They start swim a bit but not that active, and after some time they settled down again at button. The main problem is that they don’t eat at all that hat is scares me.

I did it a water change but they are still behave same.

Is that possible that the PH is too high for them?

8. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Your pH is not too high. African cichlids need high ph and hard water so that shouldn't be the problem.

Them not eating isn’t the thing to worry about, they can go for a few weeks without food and still be fine.

How did you acclimate them? Seeing as you added them just yesterday perhaps they are in shock. If the parameters they were in at the store are different then your tap water and they were not acclimated properly, that could be the problem.

9. OP
    OP
    inveterateaquarist

As per the guy from the pet smart they lived in PH: 7.8 - 8.2 and were active more active.

I did a water change of 50% but they still seating at button, one very rear they start swim a bit hangs in middle or a bit top of the tank and the new goes down again.

I tried to field them today again, but when I put a food in a tank they don’t even react on it.

And what I notice is that some of the fish has some white or black pigments on her face, I,l provide a pic so that you could see it.

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP
    inveterateaquarist

I bought the 3 Yellow Lab Cichlids and right on the second day they start acting strange, the symptoms like so:

• Quick breathing;
    • A reluctance to eat food (at all);
    • A lethargic appearance at the bottom of the tank;
    • They won't swim at all, almost all time seating at the button;
    • They have a white and black coloring of the skin;
    • Sometimes one of them even seems like falling on the side;
    Water Parameters:

PH: 8.0
    Ammonia: 0.25 - 0.50 ppm ( from the tap water same)
    Nitrite: 0ppm;
    Nitrate: 0ppm;
    • I have performed a 50 - 60% of water change today on the third day, but they still seated at the bottom;
    I have provided some pictures below.

Please, somebody, help me because it sounds to me like they are dying.

1. What should I do?
    2. Or what is that could be?
    3. Does is calling a Bloat Diseases?

Attached Files:

11. ganjero

ganjeroValued MemberMember

How old is your tank? The symptoms are from a fish that has been shocked/poisoned by the water chemistry. The ammonia is high, it should be zero. How are you treating the tap water for water changes?
    After you reply, maybe I (or others) can tell you what you could do.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  12. BettaAquarium

BettaAquariumNew MemberMember

Is your tank cycled? Try to get that ammonia down, that's a little high.
    Have you noticed any signs of dropsy? Watch for pineconing on the scales.

What are you using to condition your tap?

13. OP
    OP
    inveterateaquarist

How old is your tank?
    The tank is a month and a half old. And it was fishless cycled for a month till Amonnia, and Nitrite is dropped to a proper level.
    How are you treating the tap water for water changes?
    Usually, I'm filling the bucket of water with an appropriate temperature from the tap and adding a Conditioner inner, then waiting for at least a 5 - 10 means for every bucket till Conditioner makes some effects, and after that slowly adding a water to the tank. As soon as the tank is full I'm adding some beneficial bacteria. ( That how I was instructed from the fish store representative).

I have provided the more pictures of the Conditioner and Beneficial Bacteria Battle which is colling Jup Start. and some fish pictures and food that I'm trying to use for them.

Attached Files:

14. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Hi, sorry the fish is sick!
    I really cannot tell from the photos of any problems with bloat, but he certainly looks a bit stressed.

If your tap water has such high ammonia naturally, I would recommend using Seachem Prime to remove the ammonia and test the new water before adding it to the tank during a water change.

15. BettaAquarium

Don't add bacteria every water change. I would recommend using Seachem Prime, as listed above.
    I agree with above, that I don't see anything wrong with him, except stress.

16. OP
    OP
    inveterateaquarist

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely buy a Prime.

But, if they are not sick, and just stressed due to a new environment, and migh be due to ammonia of that low level - why they don't eat at all?

I'm scared that they are just going to die without the food.

But the problems is that it's just one of them behave like that - All of them 3 Yellow lab Cichlids behave like that =(

And they don't eat at all!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  17. BettaAquarium

Stress can be a reason that they are not eating.
    My fish usually don't eat immediately after I introduce them to their new aquarium.

18. OP
    OP
    inveterateaquarist

That what I got with mine tetra fish that they don't for a day or so. But in that case, they are not eating at all for about 3 days now.

I heard that the fish could possibly survive without the food for about a week or two. but I don't want that!

And, I heard that sometimes folks adding a liquid garlic drops into the food so that help them with a food, don't know if it's true or not!

19. BettaAquarium

That is true, add some garlic juice into the food, and they maybe will eat.
    My fish once didn't eat for a week, because of the new place.

20. OP
    OP
    inveterateaquarist

So, what would be your recommendation, in that case, I mean what would you do if you had a situation like this?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice