Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Yellow Lab Breeding Questions

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Bigtanks125, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Bigtanks125New MemberMember

Welcome!

For anyone would could provide advice it would be greatly appreciated!

I have 2 yellow labs in my 125g and I was watching them play yesterday and noticed their mouths were fat. Ni got nervous and i took pictures to my LFS and they simply told me they were holding eggs. Today one is no longer holding eggs but the other still is. A Male lab would never hold eggs right? So that means both yellow labs are female and both were holding at the same time. Why would they spawn eggs if there is no Male present? Why did one get rid of their eggs and one has not. Pictures of both included! Thanks to anyone who can help!

P.s. I have included 3 pictures of the lab still holding and 1 of the one that is no longer holding eggs.

Attached Files:

2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

What other species do you have in the tank? She is definitely holding eggs.

African cichlids are like dogs, they will breed with others even if they are not the same species. Also, females will still spawn and hold eggs even if they didn’t spawn with a male. Usually the infertile eggs are spit out after a week or less. I suggest you do some researching on their breeding habits to get a better idea.

3. Bigtanks125New MemberMember

I have 2 orangeburst cichlids with 2 red sulfer peacocks 2 small Oscar's 2 convict cichlids and 2 rainbow redfin sharks
    They are also in with 4 clown loaches and 2 blue peacocks also 2 bumble bee cichlids the biggest fish is one of the Oscar's reaching maybe 2 and a half inches

I'll take your advice and read up more on their breeding habits.. thanks for the response btw. Also why do you think the other released their eggs? Did she not want them? Was it possibly a Male and he ate them/released them and another fish ate them? Would a male even hold eggs? Or is that strictly female behavior? I dont see any eggs anywhere in the sand or any of their little hideouts so I think the other released and maybe the eggs were eaten..

Right when you said they will breed like dogs I started to think maybe she mated with my Male bumble bee?

Picture of him included..

Attached Files:

4. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

The bumbler is too young to breed, maybe when it’s closer to 4-5in. I would guess it to be one of the peacocks should they be fertile. The other female (only certain species will have the males hold the eggs) could of spit them because they were infertile or she is inexperienced. Any lost eggs are usually eaten by the others soon as they are found.

You may want to revise your stocking, you are mixing African Rift Lake species with with large American species, I doubt they will play nice when they grow up.