Yellow lab behavior

delta5
Would it be possible to reproduce the yellow lab's natural behavior while raising fry if I put one male and one female in a tank together? I've been told and seen video that suggest the male lab will protect the eggs/fry alongside the mother. Really interested to see this natural behavior in an aquarium.

CLam
Cichlids tend to be very attentive parents as a general rule, both parents often changing temperament to become very territorial, defending the eggs/fry. Were you under the impression that the female would have the stronger parenting instincts? As far as I know, this is very much not the case for all cichlids.

As long as the male and female are the parents of the spawn, I would actually advise leaving them in the tank with the eggs/fry and letting them raise the babies. I guarantee that you will not be able to raise the babies better than their parents can. You just have to make sure they eat.

delta5
Cichlids tend to be very attentive parents as a general rule, both parents often changing temperament to become very territorial, defending the eggs/fry. Were you under the impression that the female would have the stronger parenting instincts? As far as I know, this is very much not the case for all cichlids.

As long as the male and female are the parents of the spawn, I would actually advise leaving them in the tank with the eggs/fry and letting them raise the babies. I guarantee that you will not be able to raise the babies better than their parents can. You just have to make sure they eat.

From prev exp with this sort of cichlid they abandoned the frys' fate to the other tank mates that made quick snacks of them. Now the first batch of fry are free swimming and eating my homemade fry food. Their mother stayed with them the first 3 days and recovered. Now she is back in the main tank.

LeoDiaz
Not yellow labs the male doesn't stay with female. He mates with as many females as he can. The one that protect them is the female. By letting her fry out her mouth when all clear and putting them back in when any sign of trouble.

delta5
Not yellow labs the male doesn't stay with female. He mates with as many females as he can. The one that protect them is the female. By letting her fry out her mouth when all clear and putting them back in when any sign of trouble.

Last fish never did that. She turned up dead in a cave the next day, so maybe she did try? This is the 3rd time and so far so good. She is back in the main tank and the fry are doing good.

LeoDiaz
Last fish never did that. She turned up dead in a cave the next day, so maybe she did try? This is the 3rd time and so far so good. She is back in the main tank and the fry are doing good.
In a tank they have no safe place to run away from all other fish when needed. So most fish just let them go and hope for the best. I take my females out and let them spit in another tank. Once she lets all her fry go back in the tank she goes.

delta5
In a tank they have no safe place to run away from all other fish when needed. So most fish just let them go and hope for the best. I take my females out and let them spit in another tank. Once she lets all her fry go back in the tank she goes.

That's what I did this time but I let her recover for a few days first.

LeoDiaz
That's what I did this time but I let her recover for a few days first.

Yea so just have 1 male to 4 female if you want to breed. So whenever you take one out there still 3 females for the male to play with.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
  • Question
Replies
Views
OuiBonjour
Replies
Views
Gypsy13