Yellow Lab African Cichlid fry care

PandaLover

Hello everyone! So our yellow lab is in a separate tank, currently a 10 gal, she has been holding fry for a few weeks now and a few have been roaming around the tank and hiding in the fake decoration plants. I am assuming she is a first time mother due to how small she was when we originally got her. What are some tips and tricks anyone would reccoment with keeping these fry? I'm doing my research, but I would love to know anyone's personal experience successful tricks with raising cichlid fry. Thank you so much!

A201

If you want a few of the fry to survive, be sure to provide rock piles. A well constructed hardscape will usually insure that a small percentage of the brood will survive.
Feed a quality crunched up flake food & things should go well.
My Africans are constantly breeding & I do nothing special to protect the fry. A few babies always survive by hiding in the hardscape.

PandaLover

Do they need rock formations if they are in a separate tank ? I have no problem doing that for them but they currently have 2 fake plants in there that they hide in. Also, do you do any extra water changes? Twice a week or just once a week? Thank you for your reply!

A201

I change out 35% - 50% of the water every week.
If the fry are free swimmers & separated from the parents or other potential predators, really no need for the rock hardscape.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views