Yellow Convicts (cryptoheros nanoluteus)

Rdel

Have any of you guys kept these before?

I'm thinking of getting 6 small ones for a 110g and basing everything in the ta k around them.

Was wondering what other people experience has been with them has been?

TClare

I have not kept them, but I think that would be an interesting setup. They are apparently not as aggressive as convicts. Hopefully someone with experience of them will comment.

chromedome52

Wonderful fish for a large community set up. More tolerant of a wide range of conditions re: soft/hard, acid/alkaline. Females get a little aggressive when guarding wigglers and fry but tend to keep to a small area. However, the brooding color of a female is a sight to behold. Males are nice, too, but you really want to see a brooding female. In a 110 gallon tank, she's not going to hurt anybody.

Females prefer a tight space for their spawning sites, digging under a rock or driftwood to make a shallow cave. However, they will spawn in whatever cave is available.

Biggest female I've seen was just over 2 inches, but I've had males reach 3.5 - 4 inches. Despite the size, the females rule the roost.

Rdel

Wonderful fish for a large community set up. More tolerant of a wide range of conditions re: soft/hard, acid/alkaline. Females get a little aggressive when guarding wigglers and fry but tend to keep to a small area. However, the brooding color of a female is a sight to behold. Males are nice, too, but you really want to see a brooding female. In a 110 gallon tank, she's not going to hurt anybody.

Females prefer a tight space for their spawning sites, digging under a rock or driftwood to make a shallow cave. However, they will spawn in whatever cave is available.

Biggest female I've seen was just over 2 inches, but I've had males reach 3.5 - 4 inches. Despite the size, the females rule the roost.
Now that I'm searching I'm having a hard time tracking any down. Sweetknowles have 8 in but all male.

Any ideas why I might be able to source some?

chromedome52

First place to check is Tangled Up in Cichlids. Seems like they usually have some. Oh, just looked, nothing currently. Watch them, though, they will get some eventually.

TClare

Definitely worth being patient, maybe you should write to some suppliers they may know when they are likely to be getting some?

Rdel

Already on it messaged a few and got a few going to message me back when they get their new lists next week. Actually did find a place but they only had 8 males.

Rdel

Success!

Love these fish and already have 2 sets of pairs scouting out caves

Attachments

• 16450375062378190890481448077952.jpg
    16450375062378190890481448077952.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 9
  • 16450375518452116899289389194549.jpg
    16450375518452116899289389194549.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 1645037572332583185667481928436.jpg
    1645037572332583185667481928436.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 9

TClare

Very nice fish, I like the blue eyes! But what's with the discus and Apistogramma? Not ideal tank mates I would have thought?

Rdel

The tank is pretty much all for the nanoluteus however the apisto pair I've had for ages and they been breeding and doing well in the ph7 water I have, which is fine for the nanoluteus and they are both fine at the 26 degrees I have the temp at.

The two discus were rescues I got a few days ago have been at 26 degrees since they were fry. They're very active and outgoing and all fish are being very social.

I'll keep an eye on things and if anybody seems to be acting out of sorts I can move them on.

TClare

The tank is pretty much all for the nanoluteus however the apisto pair I've had for ages and they been breeding and doing well in the ph7 water I have, which is fine for the nanoluteus and they are both fine at the 26 degrees I have the temp at.

The two discus were rescues I got a few days ago have been at 26 degrees since they were fry. They're very active and outgoing and all fish are being very social.

I'll keep an eye on things and if anybody seems to be acting out of sorts I can move them on.
Interesting, I hope all will be Ok when they start breeding...just that I had imagined you were going to do some kind of Central American setup.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FireflySky
Replies
Views
ccb04
Replies
Views
FireflySky
Replies
Views