yeast for CO2 generator? Question

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by josh11551, Apr 20, 2010.

1. josh11551

josh11551Well Known MemberMember

I have active dry yeast and have the bottle already set up. i read a recipe for 1/4 tsp of yeast to 2 cups sugar but do i have to do anything to activate my yeast to start creating CO2?

2. bass master

bass masterWell Known MemberMember

I put my yeast in a cup of water to mix it in before I add it to the generator. Also dont add the yeast to water that is too hot or too cold or else the yeast will die off, as long as the water is just barely warm to the touch and not freezing you should be fine. It should start giving off bubles in about 1-2 hours

3. OP
    OP
    josh11551

how do you normally make the mix? i have yeast and sugar on hand i just need to know how to put them together and does order matter?

4. bass master

I add the sugar first, followed by some hot water from the sink, just enough to dissolve all the sugar, once the sugar is dissolved I add cold water until I get the water in the bottle to around room temperature, then I mix the yeast in a separate cup and add it to the bottle, once all the ingredients are in there I fill the bottle to about the point where the bottle starts to form a dome with water. I make sure to have about 2-3 inches of extra room so the yeast/sugar mix doesnt find a way up the tubing once it starts to foam and bubble.

5. OP
    OP
    josh11551

warm water to fill it the rest of the way right?and when i mix the yeast it dosen't matter how much warm water i get right?

6. bass master

I just use room temp to fill the rest of the way, doesnt really matter as long as the water doesnt get extremely hot though. I usually used about a cup or so to mix the yeast, just enough to dissolve it really

7. OP
    OP
    josh11551

your supposed to dissolve the yeast?

8. bass master

well kinda, it needs to be mixed with water to fully activate, so I put it in a cup of water and lightly stir it to make sure all of it has been mixed

9. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

Good advice above Josh.

10. OP
    OP
    josh11551

should it look all cloudy?

11. bass master

yep, I know mine always does at least

12. OP
    OP
    josh11551

ok good... i put an airstone at the end and put the airstone in the tank :)

EDIT: should i put thw airline tubing in the water inside the bottle or above the water?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  13. bass master

sounds good, although a lot of times airstones dont always do a great job of diffusing. I run my line into my filter so it gets chopped up by the impeller, it seems to do a good job. You can buy a number of diffusers if you dont like the noise though, ceramic bell type diffusers work ok, as do golf tees (jammed into the end of the tubing), chop stick tips, and Ive even heard cigarette filters do a decent job of making the micro fine bubbles that will actually dissolve into the water rather than just float to the surface. Just google diy co2 diffuser and see what you get

14. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Good info above. DO NOT have the airline submerged in the yeast mixture. The airline should sit up near the lid just hanging in the gap between the lid & the surface of the yeast mix.

15. bass master

didnt catch the edit last time I looked at this, definitely do not put the line into the water! Make sure you have at least 2 inches between the end of the tubing and the top of the water, Ive learned through experience that if you dont, the mixture can bubble up, enter the tubing, and quickly cloud your tank