Year Old Betta Concerns

1. rocket

rocket New Member Member

Hey there! I'm a fairly inexperienced Betta owner, I've had my fish Abe Vigoda (hehehe get it, abe vigoda was detective fish?), for just over a year now, but I was wondering if anyone would help me make sure he's still doing good. So far the only issues I've noticed with him are his fins and tail. I'm not 100% sure what fin rot looks like, google image search is only so helpful, but his tail looks a little ragged and I'm not sure if it's because of his tail type or if it's something else. He also has a small lump on his tail, it looks like it's on both sides in the same spot, is it something I need to be concerned about, or is it a harmless cyst? I know the internet is no substitute for actual medical opinions, but I figured it'd be a good place for me to start :) Other than my concerns, he seems to be acting healthy, he swims around his tank, visits the surface, sleeps in his little 'house', makes bubble nests, and seems to be eating (though if he notices me watching he will sometimes spit out the crushed up pellets I give him.)

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

3. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Can you get a shot of him from above? He looks like a crowntail with the way his fins appear in the images.
    can you provide the parameters listed above to check his water quality?

4. OP
    OP
    rocket

rocket New Member Member

I don't have anything to test Nitrate and Nitrite, but using some old pool testing kits I have it looks like the pH is 7.2 and Cl Br shows less than .5. Removing him from the tank using a net seems to have made small pieces of his tail fin come off, but he's still acting normal.

Here's the pic IMG_20170804_160734048 - Edited.jpg

5. Guppy Girls

Guppy Girls New Member Member

Curling at the ends of the fins and tail indicates fin rot. The water seems slightly murky so recommended doa 50% water change. Now is it just the pic or does he have little white spots on his tail?

Also are there any objects in there with sharp or jagged edges?

6. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

That looks more like damage to me, though I'm not sure about a lump, and don't see it. Could be from the decor. It could also be self-tail biting, something mine does, "Mmm, fish flavor." Watch carefully when he showing signs of aggression, especially at feeding time. Does he whip around rapidly and get a face full of tail? If so watch for strikes. When a Betta has a tail shredded, and progressively less damage on the fronts of his anal and dorsal fins (where he can't reach, but would be most susceptible to damage if he were catching them on decor, I suspect self biting.

Lots of partial fresh water changes will help him heal.

7. OP
    OP
    rocket

rocket New Member Member

How much do you recommend for a partial water change? I don't see any white spots on him, so it might just be the picture. I've had to remove plants from his tank before because they seemed to be snagging on his tail, but when I did the water change this afternoon and put some food in, he seemed to mostly ignore it (and sat underneath where it was starting to float down then proceed to get startled when it landed on him), but I didn't notice him trying to bite himself. I circled the lump in question, I'll see if I can get a clear-er picture tonight.: sketch1501880910766.png

8. California L33

Wow. I don't know what that is. I thought it was a hole, part of the damage, as it's almost the same color as the background. With any luck one of our Betta experts will chime in.

Since we don't know what the parameters are, and it looks like a small tank, I'd do a 60% change today, followed by 40% every day after. Remember to dechlorinate and temperature match the new water, and pour it in nice and slow. If you haven't done a water change for a while pour the new water in in stages, maybe 20%, wait ten minutes, and another 20%. Good, clean water doesn't hurt 99% of the fish out there, but rapid change in water chemistry can cause stress. All in all, if you're going to take the risk of leaving a fish in dirty water or shocking it with clean, I'd go with the latter. Clean water doesn't solve all problems, but it does solve a surprising number, and I've never heard of it making any worse.

BTW, how big is that tank?

9. OP
    OP
    rocket

rocket New Member Member

The tank, if memory serves, is a little over 2 gallons. With the dechlorinator, and this is a question I've had for a while, do I need to let the water sit for a bit, or is it safe to put the dechlorinator in, shake the jug (I have 3 one gallon jugs) and put it in the tank?

10. Tiffany_e97

Tiffany_e97 Valued Member Member

It looks like you've already been significantly helped by other members here, but I have a few questions and maybe through those answers we can have some better insight as to what is causing the lump and fin issues. Before today, how often were you doing water changes? Does your tank have a filter and heater? How long ago did you notice this lump? Has the lump grown at all or shown up anywhere else on the fish?

11. OP
    OP
    rocket

rocket New Member Member

I try to do a partial water change (10-30%) every 3 days, with a full clean every 10 days (this includes cleaning his house, his plants, his gravel, and the water line in the tank), his tank doesn't have a filter or heater, and the lump has been there for at least a month, but it's not grown in size, shown up anywhere else, or seemed to be interfering with him being able to get around.

12. California L33

As I understand it, dechlorinator acts almost instantly- it's a chemical bonding thing. Once the molecules meet (through thorough mixing) it's done. If I'm wrong on this I'm sure someone will correct me. Sorry about asking the tank size- should have read the header. :)

If that tank doesn't have a filter you should be doing a partial water change every day. If it does you might be able to stretch it to every other. I'm not saying your fish won't survive without them, but it will be healthier and happier with clean water. The big problem with Bettas in small tanks, and I know this from experience, is that while they don't need a lot of room to swim back and forth, the water chemistry can change in a heartbeat, and your fish can go from really happy to really stressed and exhibiting symptoms in an afternoon.

13. California L33

BTW- as far as tank decor goes, you can get 'Betta plants.' These are like other artificial aquarium plants, but have much softer leaves, so as not to tear delicate fins. Bettas do like places to hide, and landmarks to establish their territory.

14. OP
    OP
    rocket

rocket New Member Member

Hey, no worries! I'm going to try to do the 40% water change every day like you said, and in the meantime try to figure out what that little thing is on his tail. I'm working on getting him all silk plants, he has one in there right now that doesn't seem to snag on anything (he's hiding behind it as we speak XD).

15. Tiffany_e97

Tiffany_e97 Valued Member Member

To me personally the lump looks like lymphocystis, it matches up very closely with what I see in the picture and his behavior (Non lethargic). Look up a few images on google for yourself and see if you agree this could be the culprit or not. I'm also going to link a website below that goes more in depth as to what this is.
    Viral Infection (Lymphocystis) in Fish

16. heeerefishyfishy

heeerefishyfishy Valued Member Member

In addition to what everyone has said above, I want to add that you really should have a heater and a filter. I don't see any evidence of them in your photos.

I hope he's feeling better soon. Good luck!

17. California L33

I think everyone would agree with that- a little sponge filter to grow some beneficial bacteria and move the water, and a Marina C10 heater, which has a thermostat and won't heat the water too fast. It's summer now, so heat probably isn't a problem, but it won't last long, and Bettas survive cool water, but they don't thrive in it.

18. OP
    OP
    rocket

rocket New Member Member

In the winter, we usually move him to sit on top of a heater, we have a box over the radiator and it provides enough warmth to keep the temperature stable.