Year Old Beta Looks Like He Survived A Knife Fight

Johnny5

Reaction score
Hi all,

My beta I got over a year ago isn’t looking too hot, losing color and his tail fin is pretty sad too. He swims around a lot and comes to the front of the tank to greet me when I see him (without flaring) and seems very happy. Also eats when I feed him. I’m not sure why he looks so bad when he seems to be happy. He’s in a Fluval 9 with artificial plants. I put a sponge on the filter outflow because it was tossing him around before so there is enough flow to break water tension but not disturb Barney. I change the water bi weekly with a ~30% change and every so often clean the filter pads.

Any ideas why his appearance is poor and how to improve?

Attachments

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Two possible causes:

1) There is some kind of decoration in his tank snagging and tearing his fins. Replace plastic plants with silk (or preferably live) and feel decor for sharp edges.
2) He is bored and is habitually biting his own fins for stimulation. Try rearranging his tank layout, put things around the outside of the tank to create visual interest.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would put some Indian Almond leaf in the tank and let it decompose. It seems to have helped my guy a lot.

Debbie1986

Valued Member
Reaction score
Pics 1 & 3 show decor in the back with what look like holes. Are these holes something he swims through? if yes, check it for rough surfaces.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
His colouration is nothing to worry about. He has the marble gene which means he'll change colours over time and that's what he's currently turning into.

As for his fins, he's fin biting. It looks like he's a heavily finned betta which makes them more likely to fin bite. When they start to tail bite you want to keep them distracted from doing it such as introducing new decorations to examine, temporarily remove him and rotate the decorations around for a new environment to explore, or introducing some shirmps for him to be stimulated with. You want to try and keep him distracted from doing it.

Keep the water clean to prevent any infections and his fins should heal up. Indian Almond Leaves and Stressguard are optional additives for their therapeutic and antiseptic purposes which promotes the healing process.

Top Bottom